Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at my dealership doing work over the weekend (Service bays are empty while I run electrical conduit overhead) and asked the commercial sales assistant about the diesel van arrivals. He of course, was trying to steer me into the gas version. I told him I preferred the torque of the diesel and would wait on them. He then went on to tell me that they can supercharge the gas engine using their third party modification company down the street. I was intrigued by this statement and called my usual salesperson whom we've used for several years now to confirm. He was going to take the ProMaster to the modification up fit shop today to see if they can do it.
Stay tuned!
If they can pull this off at a reasonable cost, this would certainly be an entertaining way of getting to the job sites!

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I was at my dealership doing work over the weekend (Service bays are empty while I run electrical conduit overhead) and asked the commercial sales assistant about the diesel van arrivals. He of course, was trying to steer me into the gas version. I told him I preferred the torque of the diesel and would wait on them. He then went on to tell me that they can supercharge the gas engine using their third party modification company down the street. I was intrigued by this statement and called my usual salesperson whom we've used for several years now to confirm. He was going to take the ProMaster to the modification up fit shop today to see if they can do it.
Stay tuned!
If they can pull this off at a reasonable cost, this would certainly be an entertaining way of getting to the job sites!
I wonder if the transmission would hold up to the increased torque?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep , say goodbye to the power train warrantee, Why not a nitrous system? Cheaper and majority of the time the extra power is not needed?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This would all be under warranty as the dealership would be doing the conversion using their authorized shop.

Gosh, You guys sound like the Sprinter group!

·
Registered
20 Posts
do it, it'z gangster
go on youtube, many videos with pentastar wit it
why did you guys think they call it the promeister?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Stay tuned!
Have you driven one with the Pentastar engine? It's a lot more powerful than I thought it would be. The torque is surprisingly available down low in the rpm range and does't drop off at higher rpm's. I too wanted a diesel but a great deal came along that I couldn't pass up with everything I wanted except the gas engine. Now I'm actually glad I got the gas engine. I dove in the mountains yesterday @ approx 9000 ft and it performed a lot better than expected. Had about 2300# loaded and no problems climbing steep grades.

I would like to see a supercharged or turbocharged Pentastar motor though...wonder how the torque would be affected?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
This would all be under warranty as the dealership would be doing the conversion using their authorized shop.

Gosh, You guys sound like the Sprinter group!
As long as you get in writing the fact that the supercharger doesn't affect the manufacturer's warranty you should be fine.

The dealer may warranty the supercharger/installation itself and may even warranty the power train as long as the repairs are done at that dealer, but if the failure occurs far from home it "may" be possible to have other dealers decline repairs under warranty.

Don't know anything about your reference to Sprinters, just basing comment on personal experience with warranties and fine print.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you driven one with the Pentastar engine? It's a lot more powerful than I thought it would be. The torque is surprisingly available down low in the rpm range and does't drop off at higher rpm's. I too wanted a diesel but a great deal came along that I couldn't pass up with everything I wanted except the gas engine. Now I'm actually glad I got the gas engine. I dove in the mountains yesterday @ approx 9000 ft and it performed a lot better than expected. Had about 2300# loaded and no problems climbing steep grades.

I would like to see a supercharged or turbocharged Pentastar motor though...wonder how the torque would be affected?

I did drive the gas engine about a month or so ago. My dealer will loan me anything I need and as such, I borrowed the van for a couple of days. Yes, I'll agree that the engine is quite capable for the van. My issues stemmed from driving through a hilly area in Phoenix where it bogged down. The thought of boosting this engine really appeals to me as a rarity. I've owned many supercharged vehicles and never had issues with them in terms of reliability.
Of course, I'd still prefer the diesel!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as you get in writing the fact that the supercharger doesn't affect the manufacturer's warranty you should be fine.

The dealer may warranty the supercharger/installation itself and may even warranty the power train as long as the repairs are done at that dealer, but if the failure occurs far from home it "may" be possible to have other dealers decline repairs under warranty.

Don't know anything about your reference to Sprinters, just basing comment on personal experience with warranties and fine print.

If need be, the dealer would take care of me. I have a working relationship with them. The owner is a family guy and well respected. I've been invited many times to their home for parties!
As my wife and I are moving to a new house, I called them to ask about borrowing another van. They gave me a new box truck with a lift gate off the lot for as long as I need! That is the ultimate customer retention if I can think of!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
A problem with supercharging or turbocharging an existing naturally-aspirated gasoline engine is that boosted engines normally run lower compression ratios. I would think that to do it right the engine would have to be completely rebuilt; and that's very expensive.

Of the two I prefer turbocharging over supercharging, but either could place more power and torque on transmission and axles than they can handle with the reliability I'd demand. But if power is your thing and can take the risk you should go for it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
At the minimum, I would expect lower compression ratio pistons to be installed. If they are not doing that, then I would question the quality of their conversion...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's no joke. My salesperson has always delivered what I asked for. There are delays in this project as a death in the family has prevented progress.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts