Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you like a smoother ride from your Promasters Rear suspension? Well SuperSprings International would like to help you out with that with their SumoSprings Solo airless airbags.

Microcellular urethane one piece unit that replaces the factory bump stop as well as filling the gap the factory unit was leaving. Whats the point? Well they're supposed to improve ride, reduce side to side sway and abolish sudden bottoming out. Most people should actually be able to install the SumoSprings themselves using basic tools.

“With SumoSprings, ProMaster users can upgrade the stock rear suspension without having to send the vehicle to a spring shop,” said Mike Visser, president of SuperSprings International. “That way, there is no wasted time spent shuttling drivers back and forth, and the installation can be done whenever it is most convenient.”
Fit them and forget them is the motto, they won,t sag or leak like traditional airbags and there are no compressor lines. There are two choices of density to suit your typical loads, one for medium duty and the other for heavy duty.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
The North American Vans are beefed up already (over done in my opinion)
Could use them for Europe. 159"/101" roof height Europe 99"

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I found this review in MotorHome Magazine interesting.

http://supersprings.com/binders/images/MotorhomeMagazine_SuperSprings2.pdf

I have to admit that I'm skeptical about adding any type of helper spring because multiple spring systems in parallel become stiffer, and unless a vehicle is overloaded it generally just makes the ride harsher. However, there are exceptions like when air bags lift the ride height enough to change the characteristics of multi-stage factory leaf springs. Not sure this example applies to PM.

One concern of mine would be a two year warranty. Unlike steel that could flex in elastic range practically for ever, I'd worry about the foam breaking down with repeated compression cycles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been considering the SumoSprings for my PM. But reading the article and the list prices that were quoted, I may change my mind. Twice the price of air bags and giving up the capability of height adjustment doesn't quite do it for me. I run with about 3000 lbs on board all the time and I would be concerned that the SumoSprings will start breaking down after a couple of years. I can't believe there's anything made that would withstand compression and decompression over a period of time without losing something structurally.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Airbags themselfs are cheap in price and are easly to replace if something should
happen to them (once the system is in place) and adjustable for different weights.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Maybe taking out the second leaf and adding this would soften the ride but keep the stock ride height. Or maybe if you wanted to lift the rear you could add those plus a spacer?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have sumos on my light sprinter conversion. I love them. reduces side to side oscillations a bit and reduces bottoming on hard hits on the highways etc. Also keeps the van level when towing/hauling heavy loads. No downsides.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just to reiterate, I put sumos on my Promaster Travato (9K all loaded) and the improvement is immediate. more precise steering feel, less body roll, level ride even loaded and towing, and it handles big highway speed bumps without bottoming. Pleased with the product yet again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will installing sumo springs front or back or both void the factory vehicle warranty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Paul!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wondering whether anyone here whose had the Sumo Springs (front +/or rear) installed for a while now could give a long term review?

I have them on the rear in combination with removing the second leaf spring and have now driven 2500 miles and this combination is working great. The sumo springs are in contact with the single leaf and give it a nice feel and not too much body roll when cornering.

That said I have not driven without them in place so ymmv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Got my rear Sumo Springs (Yellow) installed today. For reference, I drive a 2107 2500 ext and my conversion weight is just short of 7000 pounds. I found that once the conversion was done, the van levelled itself without removing any leaf springs. I installed each SumoSpring with only one of the provided spacers, leaving a gap of about only 1/8 - 1/4", which engages quite quickly once the van is in motion. Dramatic improvement in stability when cornering, driving over lumpy sort of roads, and in the wind. Getting these installed is a no brainer IMO.

I look forward now to doing the front Sumo's next and then sometime in the future upgrading the shocks with Bilsteins.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Somo springs

I installed the front Super Springs on our Winnebago Trend and it made a big difference, took out the slamming when going on off bridges ( why do they build them like that ? ) potholes and bumps etc . . Have air bags on rear . Virtually no wind push or passing sway . Good combination , saves wear n tear on shocks too . Cool !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts