Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of the motorhome deal, my dealer is installing rear Sumo Springs and the Hellwig rear sway bar.

I'm a bit concerned this will stiffen the ride too much.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Sway bars mostly stiffen suspension in roll direction. When both rear wheels go over the same bump at same time you shouldn't feel a harsher ride. It will affect handling though. Just hope it takes it in the right direction. "If" your RV has too much oversteer already, as an example, adding a rear sway bar may not be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Those two items will not stiffen the ride at all. The sumo help with bottom out or heavily loaded situations. The rear sway bar will help keep the van from swaying in winds or when semis pass by. It also helps when going over curbs and bumps.

I don't know why you would do the Helwig when you have the factory sway bar. Is the Helwig more heavy duty or something?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
552 Posts
The Hellwig is considerablly larger than stock
It's 1 inch in diameter, not sure what diameter the OEM bar is. But, the Hellwig says "and is installed in addition to the factory sway bar". I'm not sure how well it would work on its own if its designed to be in addition to the OEM sway bar.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Steel is extremely cheap -- relatively speaking. If engineers had thought that an even larger sway bar was needed, they could have increased the size at very little cost. I personally see it as too much of a good thing can be really bad. I'm sure RAM and Fiat engineers tune the suspension to be best overall for the majority of owners. Only people who are way off the middle of the bell curve probably benefit from stiffening the rear suspension, even if only against body roll.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts