Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Promaster 2500 159" High Roof
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. About to install these on my 2018 2500 159". Curious if others have found they need 1 or 2 spacers? I understand this will be based upon weight of the vehicle, but just curious what others have decided. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi. About to install these on my 2018 2500 159". Curious if others have found they need 1 or 2 spacers? I understand this will be based upon weight of the vehicle, but just curious what others have decided. Thanks in advance!

I just had mine put on my 2014 159 2500. The guys that did the work only used one of the spacers, and they fit good. I am not planning on carrying a heavy load nor doing a camper buildout, so this should suffice nicely for peace of mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had mine put on my 2014 159 2500. The guys that did the work only used one of the spacers, and they fit good. I am not planning on carrying a heavy load nor doing a camper buildout, so this should suffice nicely for peace of mind. View attachment 60846
I got antsy and went ahead with install before hearing back from anyone--and went with 1 spacer and drove around, then tried 2 spacers and drove around. Though it is hard to tell the difference, my butt told me 2 was better, so I ended up leaving the 2nd one in there.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I was thinking the sumos might be a good option for stability and overload if I were to remove the second leaf spring.
When you say it's "better" with the second spacer, what do you mean by better?
Just wondering what your goal was and how they effect ride and/or handling.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking the sumos might be a good option for stability and overload if I were to remove the second leaf spring.
When you say it's "better" with the second spacer, what do you mean by better?
Just wondering what your goal was and how they effect ride and/or handling.
Thanks.
Well, my understanding was that the sumos made cornering/driving in high winds better due to less body roll. I haven't driven in high winds yet, but I can confirm turning feels better. Overall, the rig is less bouncy, which is very nice indeed. One thing that I used to dislike about the PM is when the rear wheels would come down off a speed bump--kaboom! That is also greatly reduced. I love 'em.

Why do folks remove the leaf spring? Haven't heard of this.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Just to soften the ride.
The 2500 has a 4000 lb payload, so the ride is a little stiff when empty.
Even a little stiff with a 600 lb-ish conversion.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm a little reluctant to try it, but I know a few members have done it and haven't reported any handling issues or failures. I'll never have even half the payload cap in the van so the overload springs are overkill.
But I would want something like the sumos for body roll and overload stability, if I were to remove them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the Sumos in the rear to properly work as designed they should be in contact with the leaf spring when the vehicle is level. Using only one spacer is just a softer bump stop. When both are touching the leaf springs then they are fully engaged to absorb and keep the roll to a minimum. I tried both ways with the spacers and that was my observation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the Sumos in the rear to properly work as designed they should be in contact with the leaf spring when the vehicle is level. Using only one spacer is just a softer bump stop. When both are touching the leaf springs then they are fully engaged to absorb and keep the roll to a minimum. I tried both ways with the spacers and that was my observation.
Thanks! I ended up coming to the same conclusion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, my understanding was that the sumos made cornering/driving in high winds better due to less body roll. I haven't driven in high winds yet, but I can confirm turning feels better. Overall, the rig is less bouncy, which is very nice indeed. One thing that I used to dislike about the PM is when the rear wheels would come down off a speed bump--kaboom! That is also greatly reduced. I love 'em.

Why do folks remove the leaf spring? Haven't heard of this.
Hmmm...interesting thought. I will put the other one on and hope the slight roll effect I get cornering diminishes? :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
A lot of Promaster 3500 owners are using them on their Class B RV conversion van GVW of 10,000 lbs once converted. The spring stops a lot of rear bouncing and better handling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts