Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ProMASTERS!
After months of researching and lurking over hundreds of posts on all forums (PM, Transit, Sprinter) I've decided 100% to purchase a 2500 159 HT PM to convert to a full-time camper.
I've saved 20k to spend on a van & buildout (prob will put 15k down on van to save 5k for buildout.)

I plan to buy a PM this April and start the buildout. I'm leaning 90% to GAS engine because I won't be towing anything or driving 10k miles per month. If I had the budget I would get diesel for its I4 & transmission (plus heater to fuel-line capability) but reality is a gas engine will do just fine.

Question(s):
-What's the difference between 2014, 2015, 2016 PM 2500 159" HT?
-New body styles? Engine/Drive Train upgrades? Downgrades? Warranty?

If you were in my shoes with 20k, what would you do? (and I don't want to hear "invest in your 401k! ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hello ProMASTERS!
I plan to buy a PM this April and start the buildout. I'm leaning 90% to GAS engine because I won't be towing anything or driving 10k miles per month. If I had the budget I would get diesel for its I4 & transmission (plus heater to fuel-line capability) but reality is a gas engine will do just fine.
I think the gas is a better choice myself. I like being able to get gas anywhere rather than worrying if a station has diesel. In terms of cost of the van, you may be able to get a good deal on a diesel. When we bought ours, the dealer had a number of diesels on the lot form the previous year and would have given us a great deal on one.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
It looks like diesels are not available now anyway.... too bad, its the best way to move this van. Sigh. Your financial plan looks good. 5K can do a nice build. Look at my build where I posted a spread sheet of items and prices paid. Plan to do the interior build out and insulation yourself or enlist skilled friends. Resist the expensive stuff you may not need and Get’er Done!
Welcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts