Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestion on shipping a 3500 EXT from Ohio to Nevada? It will probably be shipped in a single open carry truck. Should I get my Van wrapped or protected in anyway for the journey? I would love to hear from you-all about shipping a Promaster.

if you can, please suggest companies to avoid.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know anything about shipping cars but, I would not even think twice about wrapping it. I would think it would be pretty cheap and give piece of mind.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
338 Posts
I know when I inquired about a PM in Washington state shipping via flatbed to Texas was $2500.00. As far as wrapping is concerned, they don't "wrap" them when they leave the Mexico assembly plant so I think you would be ok unless you ship during the winter months when it can get messy from state to state depending on where you live.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Don't even think about wrapping it. It will beat on the paint when it flutters in the wind. The film auto manufactures use to cover vehicles it is a stick-on film.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a shipping quote of $1100, which didn't sound outrageous. I did a little pricing with plane ticket, gas, and the 2300 miles driving which comes in at about $800 if you factor in a night in a hotel and gas station hot dogs. For me its tough to get 2-3days off on relatively short notice. Shipping seems sensible at that price point. Since van will be up on a flat bed truck, single carry, it will probably be high enough not to get too much road debris.

We had a positive experience shipping a Toyo Sequoia from MT-->NV without wrapping it.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Andrew

·
Registered
137 Posts
I paid $1800 to ship my Promaster from TX to WA.

How it works:

You contract with a shipping company who puts bids out to a "list". They start with a price, BUT this price is a low ball to get your business. The price is generally too low, so the price will gradually creep upwards until someone agrees to take your vehicle. You can wait weeks for a decent offer; mine took three weeks.

All shipping companies are contracted to do the same thing: finding a carrier to transport your vehicle.

The shipping company is not the carrier, they get a fee, generally $200 to find the carrier, then the carrier is paid separately once the vehicle is delivered. The carrier is the responsible party, so any complaints are managed with the carrier. There are thousands and thousands of carriers.

There is no preferred contractor, they all do the same and I believe they all post to the same list.

You should expect to pay a lot more (double) to move a big van because it has to be loaded in a space that can generally be occupied by two cars. Big vehicles cost more because they take up more space.

Another alternative is to contact Driveaway, they can often find someone to drive your vehicle one way. Keep in mind that mileage and time have value and fuels costs money, factor that into your costs when comparing shipping.

I have had two big vans transported by open carrier, both times it worked out fine.

So you want a 3500 Ext? That's a big van, expect to pay $2500.

Honestly, unless you have a lot of free time on hand, I'd look around in NV, UT, OR for a van.

I only got my 118 from TX because it is really hard to find a loaded SWB Diesel van and they sold it to me for $7k discount, so the shipping was worth it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nurse Ben,

Yes that sounds like the process I am in...the carrier is the scheduler and the driver will get the balance less the depo when it arrives. The price is really reasonable however, $1100 is the quoted price for open carry transport of the large van. Maybe I am getting a good price since oil is down. They confirmed the dimensions and weight etc.... so I went ahead and locked in the price. I read the fine print about up charges during transport. It all seemed reasonable to me. I am hoping they have an uneventful time shipping my Van.

I don't really want someone else driving my van 2300 miles before I get behind the wheel. That is a good option however.

So I already purchased the van...Good deal in my mind: 2014 159WB High Roof 3500 EXT-Gas, Certified Used with only 800miles, Sandstone, Basic options = $28,944
I figured at that price point I would pay to have it shipped as well!

Sounds like you got a good deal as well, congrats! What part of WA do you live in? I grew up on the coast and college in B'ham.

Andrew

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry, I think you misunderstood. The scheduler is not the carrier, they have a loose arrangement, basically the scheduler finds carriers to match a need, they arrange the deal, then the Scheduler is done.

The "price" you lock in with scheduler is a "guess". They take that price and put it out to bid. My initial price was also $1100, then I waited, and waited, and waited, and as I waited the price went up.

The scheduler should be frank with you about this process, though they may try to sell you on their special "skills" in negotiation, but I believe it's all the same once they post the request for shipping.

When you get "offers" from carriers replying to the request, these will be forwarded to you from the scheduler. Once you agree to a offer you will get a second contract which will state the agreed to price, the carrier/carrier contact information, and you will need to pay the scheduler fee (if you haven't already paid it)

Don't expect to get a deal, the best you can expect is a fair price and a rapid transit.

Don't worry about any wrapping the van, it will be safer on the back of the truck than it would be if you were driving it down the road.

We're over the hill in Wenatchee, Apple Capital of the World :)

Nurse Ben,

Yes that sounds like the process I am in...the carrier is the scheduler and the driver will get the balance less the depo when it arrives. The price is really reasonable however, $1100 is the quoted price for open carry transport of the large van. Maybe I am getting a good price since oil is down. They confirmed the dimensions and weight etc.... so I went ahead and locked in the price. I read the fine print about up charges during transport. It all seemed reasonable to me. I am hoping they have an uneventful time shipping my Van.

I don't really want someone else driving my van 2300 miles before I get behind the wheel. That is a good option however.

So I already purchased the van...Good deal in my mind: 2014 159WB High Roof 3500 EXT-Gas, Certified Used with only 800miles, Sandstone, Basic options = $28,944
I figured at that price point I would pay to have it shipped as well!

Sounds like you got a good deal as well, congrats! What part of WA do you live in? I grew up on the coast and college in B'ham.

Andrew

·
Registered
137 Posts
For anyone interested in a "driveaway".

I drove a stranger's car with friends from DC to Portland, we paid for gas, the vehicle was insured by the owner, the driver's needed to be licensed. We had a window of time in which to deliver the vehicle, there is some flexibility in the drop off point.

I can't remember the company I drove for, this was twenty-two years ago, at that time there were few such companies.

Here's one for an example: http://www.autodriveaway.com/

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
$29,000 is a fantastic deal, and worth the hassle of shipping.

You might try ship. A buddy of mine uses it both for shipping his stuff and finding loads with pretty good results. Your van might be juicy freight because it's gonna go right across I80, and the shipper will be able to pick up other loads all along the way there and the way back. $1100 seems very reasonable to me.

On wrapping, I don't know that it's really necessary. You wouldn't hesitate to drive it yourself that distance, and you wouldn't wrap it when you did. I would think it would be even LESS likely to pick up a rock chip sitting 3 feet above the road on a flatbed. But what do I know. I will say that in my travels I constantly see brand new PMs on their way to dealerships on open flatbeds. Passenger cars get shipped by rail or by car carrier, but the PM seems like it requires flatbed shipping.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I think it was a good deal too. We'll see how the shipping goes. I put a bid out on a u-shipping website with rather dismal response. A company messaged me today about doing the job for $2500 which is what another guy on the forum thought it would cost. Too rich for my blood. I would rather fly and drive it myself for that kind of dough.

I spoke with shipper who quoted me $1,100 again and they said that was the middle of the road price for the same route over the past 3 years. We'll have to wait and see. I will post to the forum after its all settled and I have my Van.....

Kip-on-truckin, what are you getting for mileage on your EXT gaser?

Andrew

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Andrew,
Under ideal summer conditions, run no faster than 64mph, it will just touch 22mpg. 70mph drops it to consistent 19.5-20.5. Winter cold/wet slices off another 2mpg.

I dont do much city driving, but i'd guess 14mpg. In winter, it burns 0.4 gallons per hour idling in park.

Reactions: softseds

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update on Shipping a Promaster OH to NV,

I am pretty much never going to pay to have a vehicle shipped ever again. Here is the story...I purchased a used 2014 3500 EXT (gas) sandstone color from a dealership outside of Cleveland, OH. I got great deal on it given that it was certified pre-owned with under 900 miles on it and non-white. I pulled the trigger on it, sight unseen except for dealer photos, given the low miles and warranties. The salesman was top notch and very attentive through the whole process. Purchase date 8/22/2015.

I spent the next 3 weeks in contact with shipping brokers. I posted a few times on the forum and got some good feedback from you-all. After 3 weeks of slowly increasing the shipping price ($1100- $1300) without one interested vehicle carrier (brokers low ball the cost to you to get you interested and fail to tell you a large van takes up 2 spots on a transport which equals 2x the cost). I started calling individual shippers directly to transport my van. The quotes were crazy expensive from $5K-$2800. After another week had passed, I decided to contact Sportsmobile in Fresno, CA to find out who ships their vans around. I spoke to their main shipper who seemed to really understand all my frustration with brokers etc... I talked him down to $1700 to carry my van 2300 miles. He said he would pick it up at the dealership in OH and take it to his transportation HUB in IN and then have it transported 10 days after initial pick up. Great!!! It had taken me a month to find a van shipper but I felt really good about my decision. Vehicle was picked up promptly at dealership on 9/22/2015 and taken to the shippers HUB in IN.

The initial 10 days passed without the van being shipped out to NV. My vehicle got bumped from the schedule but it was always conveyed to me in an email a day before hand. The shipper makes a NV/CA run once a week. So if it doesn't get out one week, I have to wait for the next week. It was the first 2nd week of October and the transport driver doesn't pass his CDL physical. Another week long delay. Beyond frustrated at this point.... I had a terse conversation with him and he apologizes for all the delays etc.. But I am in NO position to re-negotiate with him. He has my Van some place in IN for heavens sake...I decided at this point I would fly out and rescue my van. But I couldn't just drop everything and fly out and drive it 3 days back home. So, I got a date certain for shipping which was before I could fly out & drive it. Low and behold the Van was shipped.....!

It arrived on 10/23/2015! After two months of van payments on a vehicle I had never seen, two months of convincing my wife I wasn't an incompetent fool (which is a daily struggle), and two months of worrying that I made a huge mistake.

If you happen to read this thread regarding your Promaster being shipped after purchase in some far off state.....here is a bit of advice: buy it locally even if it costs a bit more or decide to drive it yourself!!! In hindsight, I would do many things different for sure. However, I love my new van! Even though it took 2 months to get it....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dude... imagine if you got and you didn't like it or it wasn't what you thought... now that would be a nightmare... At least you like it, and you can move forward...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Softseds, I have been a long time lurker on here and after reading all the responses I had to chime in on a possibility for you. I am going to have a 25ft., 8k lb Freightliner step van like a UPS truck shipped from West Virginia to Alabama for $975-$1100. It would seem a Promaster like mine and yours would be cheaper. It is a bit smaller and lighter. Anyway, check the site out http://www.autotransportconnections.com and then send an email to [email protected] and see what she comes up with. Hope this helps.
Charley

·
Registered
12 Posts
Next time drive it back

I know it takes a few days but I picked up a one-way flight from Utah to Texas for $100 (booked about 15 days out). I drove about 1200 miles from Dallas home. It took two days and I spent about $75 in food, $125 in Gas (gotta love that 1.78 gallon in Texas) and $100 for a good hotel with a great bed. Total less than $500 and It was a great trip and a lot of fun. My quote for shipping was $1500, so I figured that for $1100 for about 2 days of "work". To me was a no-Brainer.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am sorry I just read this thread. There are many shipping companies that are only a masquerade - they are really shipping brokers.
The reason you get a delay after you pay them, is that they continue to look for the cheapest transport out there. Their profit margin is to F*** you over.

I dealt twice with auto transport, once with a VW Doka from Washington state to Pennsylvania. It was great as the seller knew the trucking company personally.
The second time, the shipping company that I dealt with before was out of business. So I found a recommendation on another forum, a place purporting to have their own trucks. They were a brokers and lying through their teeth. They sent a truck that was neither covered, or had a winch and out of desperation I went with them. They ended up causing over $1500k in damage to my vehicle. Do you think I got near enough the money that was owed to me in an insurance claim?

Lesson learned, take the days off, and have a driving vacation if your vehicle is drive-able. You only live once, enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
625 Posts
A few years ago my parents had their cars shipped from Kentucky back home to Washington (they were on a temp assignment in KY). Here at home there is a car sales shop that deals primarily with used luxury and performance cars (think top end Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, and low mileage vintage stuff too). He picks up most of his stuff at auctions around the country. Since he only deals with pristine cars, we asked him for a shipper recommendation. Don't remember who it was, but worked great. Picked up and shipped on a full-size 18-wheeler car carrier. They were moved on the trailer sometime on the trip, but it was the same trailer that went all the way from KY to WA.

tl;dnr: Find a higher end used car place, ask them a bit, then get some shipper suggestions from them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts