Registered
2019 Promaster 159" wb HR
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
159" 2500 HR Window Van
99 Posts
I have a same sized van and also wanted 3 x 200W panels but could not make it work. I have the MaxxFan forward in the space provided behind cab seats and the AC as far back as possible - basically almost hanging over the rear top tail light. My AC is the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ. The space available between fan and AC is around 78 inches. Rich Solar panels are 27 inch wide by 59 inch long so three side by side would be 81 inches. Having 2 length ways and one sideways would require more space at 86 inches. Also I recommend a min of 6 inch but preferably 9 inches clearance on both ends to avoid shading issues. Having 2 panels provides me about 12 inches clear on front and back. BTW Rich panels fit the PM width exactly so side to side is better use of the space.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Might be possible with the narrowest 3x200w panels depending on far front and back you can get the fan and ac.

You'll want to figure out how you'll get up there for maintenance though because you'll basically be left with just the space on the sides of the maxair fan. A nice roof rack would help but they're pricey.

·
Registered
55 Posts
One thing I didn't think of when putting in my Maxxair fan, is does it need to be in the center? (Actual question ... IDK!)

I hindsight I would like the fan pointing directly at my head when in bed rather than in the middle. Placing the fan at the front of the van, you might want it to one side above a cooking counter, which would also leave a single larger space for panels rather than two smaller spaces.

Reactions: ChasinCrags

·
Registered
581 Posts
One thing I didn't think of when putting in my Maxxair fan, is does it need to be in the center? (Actual question ... IDK!)

I hindsight I would like the fan pointing directly at my head when in bed rather than in the middle. Placing the fan at the front of the van, you might want it to one side above a cooking counter, which would also leave a single larger space for panels rather than two smaller spaces.
Nope, theres someone who fit 2 maxair fans and 800w of solar by offsetting the fans in each corner of the roof.

It was maxair fan + 100w square panel up front, 3x200w panels in the middle, and another set of maxair fan + 100w square panel in the rear.

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,566 Posts
Hello! We are trying to figure out the best layout for our 159" Promaster. We want to include the following:

-3 Solar Panels (Rich Solar 200W 12V Solar Panel)
- MaxFan (Maxxair Maxfan Deluxe Roof Vent)
-Dometic AC (Dometic RTX 2000 - Truck Air Conditioner, 2000W (6,824 BTU), 12 V)

We figured MaxFan in the very front, 2 panels side-by-side, followed by the 3rd across the roof, then the AC directly in the back. Has anyone done this before on this same van? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I put 2x 200w solar, a maxxfan and a skylight on a 136. I think a 159 is the width of one solar panel longer than the 136. I mounted them on struts held on the van by mounts from DiyVan on the van's pins. The unfavorable part is we used L-brackets, screwed to the sides of the panels. (very dirty roof, sorry!) It has been stated that that voids any warranty.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern
Wood Grey Composite material Gas Track

·
Registered
581 Posts
i found this top view pic of someone who used 4x200w solar panels with 1 max air fan.

200w panels are usually around 26-27” and the RTX2000 is about 26”, so the roof of a 159” wheelbase does appear to have the length necessary for a maxair fan + 3x200w panels + RTX 2000.

Keep in mind this example looks like it has the front solar panels installed several inches ahead of the usual install point for the Maxair fan, but if you put all 3 of your panels lengthwise across the roof, it should make up the difference with extra room to spare. You’d still need to figure out the attachment method that would make all the panels + brackets fit.

i believe you can minimize shading issues by running the solar panels in series @36v and then use an appropriate solar controller to step it down to 12v.

Black Rectangle Wood Font Flooring

Product Grille Guitar accessory Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We should be able to fit the 3 panels between the vent and RTX AC.
Our new formed angle rail system will make this easy, efficient and low profile.
We would be honored to help with your layout. Please email me directly.

Hein
DIYvan

Here is an example of our system on a 136:
Hein, I sent you a roof rack request. I did not include a picture of our roof since there's nothing on it right now; just whatever the factory put there.

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,566 Posts
We should be able to fit the 3 panels between the vent and RTX AC.
Our new formed angle rail system will make this easy, efficient and low profile.
We would be honored to help with your layout. Please email me directly.

Hein
DIYvan

Here is an example of our system on a 136:
Really nice design!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chiming in - we have a Maxxfan, 680w of solar, and the RTX 2000 on our roof and it all fits (tight though!)

We used the Panasonic 340w panels sideways. They overhang just slightly, but work great!
That’s fantastic! What did you use for the roof rack? Just 80/20? Also would you mind sending a pic?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts