Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm familiar with the adage, a little bit of oil makes a big mess. I noticed a spot under my recently bought 2016 PM. It is crankcase oil and is about 18" in diameter. I know the dealer did and oil change before I bought it. I have less then 1000 miles on it since then. I hope it is either the drain plug or oil filter. Are there common leak points on the V6 gasser that I should look for?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Or the dealer over tightened the oil filter cap and it cracked. The oil pools before it makes it to the ground which can conceal the fact it's leaking.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, check the oil filler cap, then check for a puddle on the driver’s side dammed by the ribs of the bell housing. If there’s a puddle, it’s probably the oil cooler leaking.
thats it. the rectangular area between webs on top the bell housing is full of oil

·
Registered
459 Posts
They all have this issue, sooner or later. It could be the o ring is in the wrong spot on the oil filter housing but is probably a crack in one part or another of the filter housing or oil cooler between the cylinder heads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A decent dealer would have done the solenoid recall and replaced you part while they were in there, not the other way around. I would bet that the dealer charged you for the labor, and also charged the manufacturer for the recall labor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A decent dealer would have done the solenoid recall and replaced you part while they were in there, not the other way around. I would bet that the dealer charged you for the labor, and also charged the manufacturer for the recall labor.
Ah, no I wasn't charged for the labor or parts on the transmission solenoid. And as far as I know, it's done from below, not above like the oil housing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How is this for weirdness, 4 days after paying my bill and picking up the van, my service writer calls me and tells me there is (unbeknownst to me) an active extended warranty on this van and they will be refunding all but $100 of the $1065 I spent on the oil housing repair. They are an authorized Ram/Promaster dealer, I assume then the warranty is with Ram, otherwise how would it have popped up on the computer??? I have no idea what the term length or coverage is. Christmas comes early.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
Wa-hoo! You might go out and get a nice steak dinner on FCA.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The dealers are supposed to call a number when they have an ofa "oil filter adapter" leak. I just read it I don't think it's a tsb just a directive for the dealers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts