Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 136' 1500 that I plan to fit out as a simple camper. First, I must say thanks for all the info I've found here. To give back, I will be starting a blog for the build process.

First, a couple questions. There will be more.

Question 1: What's with these big black styrofoam blocks overhead behind the seats? I assume I will destroy them getting them out and that they would be impossible to replace, so I would like some notion of what's behind them.

Question 2: I plan to have maximum windows and maximum screen area all around. After talking to Motion Windows, I got a van with no window in the door so that all side windows can open and will look alike. I see that all the other window spaces have vertical supports that can easily be knocked out, but the support in the middle of the window space would have to be cut. Yet factory-installed windows in the door are all one space. So what gives?

Carolyn

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Hi MsNomer and welcome to the site!

I can't answer question 1, but in question 2, the vertical supports are there to stop
a "Drumming"effect. You can take them off if you put a full window there.
You can also move them left or right to fit a smaller window.

There is a couple of members that did this on here.

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
There are 2 or three plastic plugs that hold them in. I have no idea why they are there but I took the one off behing the drivers seat and cut it in half with a hand saw so my overhead cabinet would fit. Be careful there are airbag wires/sensors? in that area.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My Sprinter has those foam blocks. In it they are there to protect your head in a crash. I suspect they serve a similar function in the PM.

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
Correct! I doubt very much if they have anything to do with hitting your head in the ProMaster. If your head hits them you are a goner anyhow! I wouldn't hesitate to remove them. I took the right side one out totally and cut off half of the left side as I said before just watch out for airbag wires nearby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts