Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the tall promaster.
Does anyone know what the studs on the top of the roof are for?
Also how are you guys cleaning the top above the windshield. I'd like to get it waxed but can't figure a way to get to it?

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
337 Posts
I believe the studs are for a roof rack.
In answer to your other question, I use a tall step ladder and I have long arms.:)

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
You can buy a pad on a extrention pole for under $20. Some even will spray water out at the same time. I have a couple and I just use a bucket of hot soapy water that I stick it in then power wash or just spray the soap and dirt off with the hose. You could probably find one with a waxing pad on it for sure.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Why is called a baker's scaffold?
Baker was one of the original scaffold companies from years ago. Just seems everyone in construction calls them baker scaffolds or as we say on the job "hey fred you got a baker up on the 4th floor?" and trust me no ones up there making cakes or cookies! LOL
I would think an 8' Baker would work better, the 6' wouldn't be long enough to span the front of the van.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Haha, shows what I know about construction=nilch!

Speaking of the studs on the roof.
Anyone have an image/picture of them?
Why?
Well someday I might add an awning. I like the soft case ARB awning BUT I don't want an official roof rack.
So I'm wondering if one could possibly install a half-rack! OK, not a half-rack but just mounts on one side of the PM for the ARB awning-
http://store.arbusa.com/arb-awning-1250-arb3110a-p3655.aspx
If you don't know this awning definitely watch the video and you'll see what I mean by soft case.

If any of you DIY guru's can figure e.g. send me links of mounts to order that will screw directly onto the PM please let me know.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Haha, shows what I know about construction=nilch!

Speaking of the studs on the roof.
Anyone have an image/picture of them?
Why?
Well someday I might add an awning. I like the soft case ARB awning BUT I don't want an official roof rack.
So I'm wondering if one could possibly install a half-rack! OK, not a half-rack but just mounts on one side of the PM for the ARB awning-
http://store.arbusa.com/arb-awning-1250-arb3110a-p3655.aspx
If you don't know this awning definitely watch the video and you'll see what I mean by soft case.

If any of you DIY guru's can figure e.g. send me links of mounts to order that will screw directly onto the PM please let me know.
Here is a link to the mount from Vantech. Also included are photos of the stud.

http://vantech.us/Promaster-Adaptor-with-hardware-Top-and-Bottom-H45-46.htm?categoryId=-1

This thread discusses awnings with mounts.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37313&page=4

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
I have the tall promaster.
Does anyone know what the studs on the top of the roof are for?
Also how are you guys cleaning the top above the windshield. I'd like to get it waxed but can't figure a way to get to it?
Time to buy an articulated ladder and a pool noodle for the top bar. I used to use a 16' extension ladder not extended with pool noodles on the ladder rails to clean the roof of my chevy window van.
https://www.amazon.com/OxGord-Alumi...rd_wg=s62Mk&psc=1&refRID=4DS02WT34FRPTFNKKP34

·
Registered
468 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,529 Posts
That is genius anchoring of the front edge.
I agree!

I think he's referring to a bungee cord with ball.... like this:

You put the loop thru the grommet hole, then around the ball and around the roof stud (hard to describe, easy to do!)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here's pictures of the roof mount if you want to make them yourself. I stole these crops from a post that I think was in this forum but I forget by who. I hope nobody cares that I am reposting them. If I make these myself I think I will use split tubing.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
Here's pictures of the roof mount if you want to make them yourself. I stole these crops from a post that I think was in this forum but I forget by who. I hope nobody cares that I am reposting them. If I make these myself I think I will use split tubing.
Thanks for posting these photos! As I recall you can buy them from one of the big rack company's for about $25 each which is kind of expensive. There have also been reports of them causing rust where they meet the roof so beware.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree!

I think he's referring to a bungee cord with ball.... like this:

You put the loop thru the grommet hole, then around the ball and around the roof stud (hard to describe, easy to do!)

Yep those are it jut run it thru the hole in the tarp and hook it around the lug. I put a knot a lil more than half way to to the ball just to shorten them up. the extra flap on the tarp that hangs over the windshield gets tied to the driver side mirror.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'm loving RD-AZ-NH's triangular solution!
I've dealt with backpacking tarps for decades, the 3 point tarps
really do go up in no time.
Now the position of the roof nubbin by the sliding door above the passenger seat
is just a wee bit problematic but one of these can easily solve that problem-
https://coloradokayak.com/products/...=29806999235&gclid=CIe5_J6ur9ICFVM8gQod8sAEHA
I think I'll find some of that super strong double sided tape used for solar panels (it does stick to the painted PM roof right?) and put it on the hypolon patch then
the patch on the roof.
Placing it about a foot forward of the existing front nubbin means a longer base of RD's isosceles triangle, but nothing this company
should have a problem with-
http://www.mytarp.com/triangle-tarps.aspx
The Cabela's adjustable pole looks the ticket too.
Thanks again for this thread everyone. Hats off to those going Fiamma, they sure do look nice, but in our everyday it would get used rarely--in fact this
triangular solution will not see that much use but it will be so nice to have a quick/easy/affordable option.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence on my tarp. KOV ridiculed it, shows what he knows. I have another thought about that area forward of the front nubbin. I am thinking that a 2 foot piece of aluminum flat stock with a hole in it to fit over the nubbin could extend the base of the tarp forward. Put a large grommet or reinforced hole in the tarp about 12 inches back on the base of the triangle and insert the flat stock into a pocket where the nubbin now lines up with the hole in the tarp, the hole in the flat stock, and the base of the triangle. This creates an extension of the tarp w/o adding anything to the van, makes it strong along its base so it can still be pulled tight would actually facilitate installing the tarp. By doing that I could have used a 10 foot tarp on my 136” and had a bit more shade or rain protection too. In 4 months of camping, three weeks at a time mostly, we have used the tarp exactly twice. I am happy to have saved the $grand$ on the Fiamma. This takes up almost no room in the van and the pole is held by broom clips under the bed. BTW mine is a right triangle with the 90º at the front. I think that is the way to go. If anyone wants my second one I still have it and would take $75 and I’ll ship it. The front as it is presents no problem for us and we are happy with it, I don’t need two. Fits a 136”, no pole.

See:https://www.amazon.com/Lehigh-13201...F8&qid=1488206589&sr=8-1&keywords=Broom+clips

Reactions: KNDLKSTMS

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,508 Posts
I have used harpstarps.com several times for the truck and have been pleased with quality of material and workmanship.

MM, that's an excellent thought on those D-rings. The studs are a bit hard to reach for us short people. I even have some on hand.

And, BTW, the D-rings also fit nicely on the studs, which is why I have some.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts