Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I love this forum and can't wait for more people to discover how usable these vans are , and start doing and sharing their cool builds. More cool pictures of what I think is the best option for DIY camping, adventure, toy hauling full size van.

A little background, 14 3500 gas motor. About a month ago at 94,000 miles my PMs tranny decided it wanted to make funny whineing noises and free rev but not go anywhere. Anyway it ended up having its transmission repaired at the dealer under warranty. Ok great but I'm always wary of any work performed at the dealer, I don't have the highest level of confidence in dealer techs. So my first thought with any problem is that it could have something to do with recent work on the van. So when I started feeling a studder when cruising with part or light throttle at around 2-2800 rpms I'm thinking maybe the tranny is not shifting cleanly from gear to gear. If I gass it or manually shift the studder stops. I'm not sure if it's because of the rpm change or because it's forced to shift.

Anyway, has anybody felt this shuddering feeling? It doesn't feel like a normal missing engine but that doesn't mean it isn't. I'm going to schedual the van to go back to the dealer because the tranny is still under the warranty from the rebuild but I really don't want to use them. Maybe they didn't bolt something back together properly witch wouldn't supriae me since when I picked it up I drove it home to discover they diddnt re attach the front sway bar after the transmission service lol. The van is at 104,000 miles and due for a set of plugs, maybe it's a bad coil or just needs plugs really bad. As we all know doing plugs and coils on the pentastar isn't a quick thing. Sorry for the long rant but any actual real advice from somebody that has experienced something similar would be great. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I’d go back and take my chances. BTW if your van was a 2015 or later the repair would have been on you as the cut off now for driveline is 60K, You dodged (pun) a bullet on that one.
Get a good independent mechanic to change the plugs soon. It is not your problem now but will be. If they were missing to cause the shudder then the CEL would come on, if it hasn’t they are not.
I guess its the tranny job too.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mine was doing the exact same thing. I thought it was the transmission too. Turns out it was a bad coil on #6 cylinder. They replaced it and all the spark plugs because it was about that time. All better now...and I was at 94k too...weird.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was doing the exact same thing. I thought it was the transmission too. Turns out it was a bad coil on #6 cylinder. They replaced it and all the spark plugs because it was about that time. All better now...and I was at 94k too...weird.
Thank you for sharing your experience with this. Were you able to see a fault code for the coil with a scanner? If not how did you figure that out?

·
Registered
473 Posts
The dealership figured it out. The engine light came on but it missed a lot before it actually set the check engine light. Mine deteriorated to an almost undrivable condition in a few miles (on the way to the dealership) so you may just have worn spark plugs if yours is just an intermittent miss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts