Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,739 Posts
On your salty roads and dirt driveway driving, those top bearings are getting abuse. Mine are not. I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
lol ... ball bearings ... "rusty balls - I've had those for years" thanks for posting this (not that I need it yet ) ~ S

·
Registered
100 Posts
The dealer just replaced my struts on my 2015 diesel at 72,000 miles under warranty and I was pleasantly surprised that they installed new mounts (bearings) also. Hopefully I get another 72,000 out of these . I live in the Chicago area and I have never seen the road conditions this bad I have to assume this caused the premature failure of my struts. I had the passenger side lower ball joint go bad at 62,000 miles also

·
Registered
848 Posts
Assuming the struts on the diesel are the same as the gasser, unforunatly there is really nothing you can do about this problem. The strut bearings use plastic to hold the ball bearings in, which wear out eventually. The problem isnt water or salt, though constant potholes would probably accelerate the wear. I get about 120k out of them, and we are all smooth highway driving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys - Based on review of several threads here compared to the slow-speed clunking I'm experiencing I feel confident I have a failed DS strut mount/bearing failure. Is it possible to make a definitive diagnosis without removing the strut? I am under warranty (21K miles) and plan to take it to my local commercial dealer. Just looking to be as prepared for that visit as possible to avoid the "we couldn't replicate the condition" back-and-forth.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not moving, if you turn the wheel all the way to one side you will feel a clunk, and often actually hear the spring make a low “boing”. This can also be seen in the wheelwell, as the coil spring binds and releases.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone, happy new years to everyone My right strut bearing is out again -__- going to see if there is an alternative to Mopar yet or will see if I can come up with a solution to remedy the constant failure of the bearing.

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had been thinking that the clunking in the steering was the strut mount bearings for quite some time as well. I replaced a bad strut mount at about 37k miles and at 57k it felt as if it had gone out again, so opened a case with ram. I took the van in to the dealership and they replaced both front strut mounts and struts and the clunk was still there when turning the steering wheel. They looked at it again after I kept complaining and they found that the rack and pinion was bad and replaced that as well, all under warranty since I had the case open with Ram corporate, and the clunk is officially gone. So if anyone here is living with the clunk let me know and I will let my case manager know that there are other people with the same problem.

This is the clunk and squealing I had.

If anyone is an engineer here or very mechanically inclined, I have the bad rack and pinion with me if anyone would want to open it and see exactly what is wrong with it. Otherwise I will open it once it gets warmer out here and I have a free weekend.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts