Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had strut problems? I have 2013 promaster 3500 with 70,000 miles work plumbing van. About couple months ago started hearing clunking noise in front passenger side when I backed up and turned the wheel, now I hear more often at slow speed when turning sharp. I also noticed hard to hold steering straight when driving pulls to right unless I get it to clunk the other way. I talked to my mechanic and he noticed two other vans with about same mileage except 2014 doing same thing. He ordered strut bearing parts. I will let you know how it goes. I think they should have lasted a lot longer but I am a plumber and see how things use to last 50 years and now lucky to get 10 years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine 2015 1500 struts failed at 28000, ended up breaking one strut mount also, replaced both. Sade but that's Promaster for ya. I was just out of the 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I contacted FCA about my struts going bad at 28000 miles (but past my 36 month warranty period). FCA said they might cover it. Called the my dealer and he quoted me 7 hours labor (4 hours job in book) plus $ 530 for 2 struts, but back ordered. It's my work truck so I could not wait, had my local mechanic do the job for 1/2 the price. FCA said they would not cover it because is was not done by a certified Ram mechanic. I just wanted them to reimburse me for the parts. Bad parts are bad parts, no matter who replaces them. From what I hear, I suspect most all the struts go bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this post is old, but I have a 2018 ram Promaster 2500, 159wb high roof. I have replaced the passenger side strut mount which was completely rusted out at around 34k miles. Now at 45k miles I feel the steering clicking and am pretty sure the driver side strut mount is out now. Has anyone been able to figure out why they go bad so quickly? Does water get there somehow? Also I saw koni makes struts and shocks to upgrade the suspension, but does anyone know if there is a solution for the mounts? This weekend I'm going to drive around with the mount visible from the inside to see if I can spot any spots where water can come in.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mine have all appeared to be rusty too, the rust being generated by the ball bearings. But i doubt it’s a water intrusion problem because of where the mounts are. Search youtube for promaster struts to see my video on the topic.

45k is pretty low though, unless maybe it’s all city driving. The symptom is memory steer, not necessarily the clunking noise.

Koni and others sell the shock part of the assembly, but no far as I know nobody but fca sells the mount/swivel. Literally, a $10 part would make the mounts last forever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I don't need to replace the strut mount if the only symptom is the clunking sound when turning? I can visibly see the strut click and move up and down when rotating the steering wheel. I don't have any memory steer, later today I can post the old passenger side strut mount which was removed. I drive a lot, this is my work vehicle and my daily driver and the roads here in NYC are quite horrible. What do you mean by a $10 part would make them last forever? Do the mounts have a poor design? I'm trying to see if Fiat Ducatis have similar issues with clunking, if not I may order one just to see what the difference is. I've seen many aftermarket ones for the Ducato from companies like Bilstein and others.

Also is it recommended to replace the ball joint at the same time, or is it better to stick with, "if it ain't broke"?

·
Super Moderator
7,428 Posts
You need to replace the mount which holds the bearing and which the strut fits into. No aftermarket mount/bearings that I'm aware of but the Bilstein's are great. The struts are the same but there is a right and left mount/bearing. The clunking sound is the bearing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay, thank you all for the super quick responses, this was one of my first posts I think and you guys were really helpful. Will be replacing my strut mount soon.

·
Registered
848 Posts
As I say, watch my video on youtube on this. “Promaster strut” brings it up. The problem is that the ball bearings are held in place by this crappy plastic “cage”. Make that out of metal, and it will last forever.

All this stuff works as part of a system. So if the strut bearing goes bad, it loads the ball joint and wheel bearing. But with so few miles, visual inspection should be enough to determine if you need to replace anything else.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just rotated my tires and noticed some oil on the front flexible brake lines thought the brake line was leaking then I noticed the strut is leaking oil and its the same on the other side 2015 Diesel with 72,000 I'll just add it to the list I have Max Care 7 year 100,000 going in next week anyway

·
Premium Member
7,736 Posts
Mine seem fine at 78,000 but I won’t deny they could go in 13,000 miles. However I have never driven the van in snow, sleet, salt, brine, even a lot of dirt, although I have 3/10 mile of dirt on my way home. I have mostly highway miles on secondary roads but a lot of interstate of course. I am hoping this postpones strut failure and top bearing wear. Am I hoping without real hope? Others with a clean van history get a lot more?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts