Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like that the rear doors open 180 degrees, but now that I put a rear ladder on the door, it would be nice to prevent the door from opening beyond 90 degrees since the ladder otherwise jams into the sidewall of the van. I'm worried the door can swing beyond 90 degrees if it's windy out. I've already had the doors whip around from 90 to 180 degrees during windy days. Anyone have a solution for keeping the door at 90 degrees?

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like that the rear doors open 180 degrees, but now that I put a rear ladder on the door, it would be nice to prevent the door from opening beyond 90 degrees since the ladder otherwise jams into the sidewall of the van. I'm worried the door can swing beyond 90 degrees if it's windy out. I've already had the doors whip around from 90 to 180 degrees during windy days. Anyone have a solution for keeping the door at 90 degrees?

Thanks!
Maybe try a removable strap similar to a cable used on a pickup tailgate?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not only wind - park on a slight hill and the back doors get a potion of motion from vibration of entering/moving in truck. Could K/O the unsuspecting, like a helper/spouse/child unloading items from the side facing forward...

Makes me miss the one-piece composite clam shell top-hinged door of my ancient Aerostar.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The standard way to do this for decades has been a check strap. If memory serves, chevy vans did this with essentially a metal version of a check strap. This is a job for Pull-a-Part, where youll walk the yard and compare different vehicles and how they do it. Youll probably get all the parts you need for $10.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Two Footman's loops and an old leather belt and eureka!
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Footman-Loops-Pieces-Corvette-Kayak/dp/B00YLR34GK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1435765982&sr=8-9&keywords=footman%27s+loop[/ame]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Strap is a great idea. I'm definitely installing something given I'm usually unloading windsurfing gear in windy conditions with kids and family running around. I've had the door rip around unexpectedly a few times already.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
Thanks everyone. Strap is a great idea. I'm definitely installing something given I'm usually unloading windsurfing gear in windy conditions with kids and family running around. I've had the door rip around unexpectedly a few times already.
I was thinking... (dangerous in most cases)

What about a piece of pipe in a block of wood on the inside van wall? When you open the door, you would slide the pipe out into a matching block on the van door. (kind of like a simple sliding latch used to lock a door)

My thinking is that a strap will keep the door from opening too far but not from closing in a windy location. A sliding pipe would keep the door open parallel to the sides of the van for loading and unloading boards without any surprises.... probably keep people from getting whacked too!

Ed

·
Registered
51 Posts

Thanks!
Our upfitter installed simple straps attached to the upper door clips and the middle of each door.

I saw a Ducato van in Europe with plastic coated metal strap in the lower middle portion of the door

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bump this video up to 11:14 to see the cable Winnebago installs to keep the door ladder/rack from getting into the sides of the van:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts