Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a rest area in Imperial Dunes CA my life partner (is that the PC name for a wife now?) left her purse in the unisex pit toilet bathroom. We realized it in a half hour and returned to find it gone of course. One item in it was our second set of PM key and fob. I have flown back to NH supporting a family member for a month so I went to my selling dealer and ordered a new one. Here is the deal. The vehicle's VIN, on file, is enough to cut the laser key and it is due to be at the dealer in a week. The cost of the key cut and fob is $115 (from wifey's account!) and then it must be programed to the vehicle which I will have to do when I return to the van and go to PHX. My dealer charges $35 for that. All this is not the end-of-the-World issue my friends have said it would be and the cost is reasonable in light of the technology in the key and van I guess.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,826 Posts
In another forum, we use "LOML" for spouses, partners, significant others, etc. Would that fly here? Sure is convenient.

Really glad to hear that the key is not a nightmare. I don't think it was always that way. I seem to remember somebody having a big hassle a couple years ago.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ron,

I ended up with four Key fobs for our van. I would gladly send you one to pay you back for all the knowledge I've gained from your posts!

PM me if you're interested.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Quest4Adv,
You are a truly generous poster and I appreciate the sentiment however it will do me no good. If my research and my manual are correct once a key fob has been programed it cannot ever be used to unlock or pair with another van. Seems odd but unless someone more knowledgeable than me knows more, I thank you but I must decline as we would both be no further ahead.
From the 2015 manual:
"Replacement Keys
NOTE: Only keys that have been programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start the vehicle. Once a Sentry Key® has been programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed to any other vehicle. When having the Sentry Key® Immobilizer System serviced, bring all vehicle keys with you to an authorized dealer.
The VIN is required for authorized dealer replacement of keys. Duplication of keys may be performed at an authorized dealer."
MsNomer,
I too read once that the replacement would be much more money and more hassle so I posted to set the record straight. I hope this helps. LOML would probably work for me but it sounds so singular, perhaps LsOML or aLOML? LOL
RD

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wow, that kinda bites. Too bad, I have no idea what I'm going to do with all of these :)

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
You are correct RD. Not only does the chip in the key lock to the vehicle as soon as it is programmed, but with these vehicles it goes further than that. Even when you get your new key in from the dealer, it will program to no other vehicle except for yours. The transponders in these keys come precoded by VIN.

Any keys you don't bring with you when you have it programmed will be permanently kicked out of the system. They won't be able to be programmed back in at a later date.

-t

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
p.s. The nice thing about programming in the new key at this time, is that the stolen key will be kicked out of the system. I am assuming that the person that took the purse now has your address, if your wife's ID was in the purse.

Hopefully an honest person picked it up, and you will receive in the mail soon.

You might wait a short period of time, like until you get back home, to program the new key. Once you program the new key, the missing one is bricked for good.

-t

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is good to know. Nothing from the purse was used, debit card, credit card, check book, phone number or address book info etc. so we expect the money was taken and the purse ditched, literally. It will be a month until we fly back to AZ and I get the keys programed. If no purse by then, the old key is locked out! Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts