Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any issues with either of these rims? I'm considering which ones to get, but the dirt roads I frequent are very harsh on rims. Not so much on the rims themselves, but the finish. I'm not sure if it's the acidity of the soil or what, but it eats clear coats on most aluminum rims and rusts steel as well. The only rims I've ever had where the finish did not fail in some way were my mid 90's chrome Dodge van rims and those things are probably still shining in the scrapyard where I left the van. :D

How are the Promaster rims holding up for everyone? I know they've only been around for a couple years, but are there any issues with rust or finish failure? What about durability of the rims in general? Any bent or broken rims out there?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I can't answer your question but I can point out another factor to consider. I Ordered the stock steel rims and the full size spare tire also came mounted on one. This facilitated easy 5 tire rotation to extend overall tire life. I think that when optional rims are ordered they may come only on the 4 road tires and the spare may be mounted on the lower cost steel rim. This of course makes 5 tire rotation difficult without re mounting 2 tires or driving with a mis-matched rim. (My steel ones are fine but I am under 10,000 miles.)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Seapro is correct. 4 aluminum and a steel rim with the option. Why not get full wheel covers on the steel rims and/or plasticoat the wheels?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I do have standart alloy rims with 5 stars looking spokes. Every spoke is cutttttted in a middle. (that is TERRRIBLE)
That middle space in a spoke is VERY Hard to clean. I do have skinny fingers. What fat people will say about cleaning this spaces ?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think on this vehicle, the bare steelies look the best (and are the cheapest choice). They come with a plastic hub cap over the middle, and the steelies are painted silver. I don't particularly care for the available full wheel covers, and alloys don't really suit it.

No idea how they stand up over multiple winters, it's too early to tell.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don`t know about the durability of the aluminum ones but I can tell you the coating on them was difficult to get off. We strip & coat a lot of rims in my shop & the coating on my Ram wheels were as difficult to remove as German car wheels, which are typically the most time consuming.

·
Super Moderator
10,123 Posts
I was just checking my '14 steel rims and I see small rust spots starting to show up after 32k mikes and one brutal winter season.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I think on this vehicle, the bare steelies look the best (and are the cheapest choice). They come with a plastic hub cap over the middle, and the steelies are painted silver. I don't particularly care for the available full wheel covers, and alloys don't really suit it.

No idea how they stand up over multiple winters, it's too early to tell.
Hey! I love my optional aloys! Lets folks know I ain't a tradesman anymore! (Solar instead of ladder racks probably gives it away too)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Painting wheel well areas had my steel rims off - the reverse face center seam weld paint was flaking off with 75 miles on them, probably something to do with the flux & lack of cleaning... just a heads up for those with POR-15 handy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts