Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I’m beginning to think a new radio may be in our future, though we are absolutely not audiophiles. It’s sobering how much better the radio is in our 2006 Tundra. Plus, out here in the boonies, the only radio station with music worth listening to is 100 miles away. Van radio can hardly hold the signal. Tundra radio can hold it for another 40 miles. I wouldn’t do it, though, unless we could retain all the controls.
Ms,

Consider a new radio in the back...with BT, USB, and lots of other features. I added mine last year and I use it all the time! It even has a remote control so you could (although I haven't) use it while driving on a trip. Speakers are separate, house battery power, and (best of all) no power timouts!

To others,

I recently also upgraded my GPS (noted earlier on this thread) to a Garmin DriveSmart 65 with traffic...this unit is spectacular - lifetime updates via wifi, free traffic, and a BIG 7" screen. I would highly recommend this unit!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
"The Sequence Class B motorhome (built on a ProMaster) features a Pioneer touchscreen dash radio with SiriusXM and navigation. "

It has a 7” Touchscreen Dash Radio With Carplay & Android Auto

So, I guess that's up to the RV manufacturer... they probably order the PM with no radio.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My biggest gripes with the Nav head unit is that it "helpfully" mutes whenever your audio is paused, and you cannot easily use a USB connection when paired via Bluetooth.

On the iPhone, there's an option to pause spoken audio whenever the Nav speaks. This is great because missing a few seconds of a podcast can be very annoying compared to music, and they don't mix well (with music it generally just lowers the audio volume during the spoken navigation instructions).

Anyhow, on the ProMaster is MUTES the audio whenever the audio is paused, so you can only hear a few words of the Nav directions. Why? If it's paused, it's already muted! No other vehicle that I've used nav in has done that!

The other complaint is that if I plug the iPhone in via USB I have two audio options, bluetooth or dock connector. If I pair my phone for phone calls, I MUST pair it for audio by default. The problem is, the stereo REFUSES to let you select USB as the input source if the connected phone is also paired by bluetooth. USB audio is noticeably better quality, and you get album art on the screen, unlike Bluetooth. So, if I'm going to be driving very long I generally go through this annoying process of disconnecting the bluetooth audio (while leaving the handsfree connected), and then it jumps back to radio (usually playing loud static!), and then selecting USB as the input source.

Oh, I forgot... one more... it ALWAYS returns to radio as the default... so I'll drive 100 miles, stop for coffee/gas/pee, and then get back in to hear horrible static, which I cannot change (only lower the volume) until the two warning screens and backup cam go away... SO ANNOYING!

I'd gladly upgrade if there was an easy plug-and-play solution.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Define plug and play. There are options (documented here) that are pretty easy. Tedious, but easy. It is almost plug and play. You do have to splice in the new wiring harness, but the documentation is good. I'd confirm your year is compatible before I started. My 2017 was easy.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Oh, I forgot... one more... it ALWAYS returns to radio as the default... so I'll drive 100 miles, stop for coffee/gas/pee, and then get back in to hear horrible static[....]
I have the non-NAV Uconnect 5, and it remembers what setting I have it in - so if it was switched off in MEDIA, it resumes in MEDIA. However, I have a USB stick with my music collection on it, and that stick is always present. Maybe you are removing the audio source you have selected, and are leaving the radio no choice but to default back to radio?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Oh, I forgot... one more... it ALWAYS returns to radio as the default... so I'll drive 100 miles, stop for coffee/gas/pee, and then get back in to hear horrible static, which I cannot change (only lower the volume) until the two warning screens and backup cam go away... SO ANNOYING!
Just as bad, I keep the radio OFF most of the time... when I get a phone call, the Bluetooth goes on and I talk on the phone. When I hang up...

The radio comes ON... loud! - same static...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wish a Promaster could be had with the 12" screen like the Ram 1500. The new ones look pretty much like my 2014. With my low miles, I definitely don't see any reason why a 2019+ would be any better for my work/cargo. More toys, luxuries would be nice. I need a tax section 179 deduction, but not that bad.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just as bad, I keep the radio OFF most of the time... when I get a phone call, the Bluetooth goes on and I talk on the phone. When I hang up...

The radio comes ON... loud! - same static...
It won't make you feel any better, but Ford Sync3 is just as bad. I swear the software engineers they hire must have gotten fired from every other job they had. So much of how these factory units are programmed is insanely stupid. They come up with an idea "I could program the radio to stay on until a front door opens" and they do it without regard for whether that is something people actually want.

The Ford also has a similar problem to what you are describing in that when you switched off the bluetooth audio it automatically went back to AM radio without regard to what you had previously been using.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just replaced my stereo with a Kenwood nav unit. The maestro setup was straight forward and the install was also pretty easy. Everything works great including all oem dash functions. Add a powered sub too which really improves the sound quality. Being able to see tire pressure is pretty nice .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just replaced my stereo with a Kenwood nav unit. The maestro setup was straight forward and the install was also pretty easy. Everything works great including all oem dash functions. Add a powered sub too which really improves the sound quality. Being able to see tire pressure is pretty nice .
Model? Pics?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts