Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new van however there are just a few things Id like to fix. The first is the Uconnect 5.0 with Nav Radio - truly a terrible electronic accessory. I specifically searched for a van with Nav and now Im sorry I did. I thought at least you could use voice to give directions - Drive to Address XXXXX - nope. It also when approaching your destination doesnt give the final address which drives me crazy as you dont know left or right side of road- the GPS is NEVER that accurate so it is useless. Bluetooth is OK. So with that rant out of the way - Hoping to get some advice and feedback on what you replaced this sad excuse for a radio with :) Id like Nav probably and also dont want to have the date and speedo flashing so which harness works well ? Almost anything would be an upgrade :) Thx David

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I’ve been sayin’ this for four years!

People here have had success with different head ends but it seems easier with the uc3 or no factory radio because of the problems you note. Search the archives and you will find it has been successfully done with the uc5 and how though. Most of us just take the easy way out and whip out our cell phones or tablets when we want good directions or buy another stand alone GPS unit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Other than the nav, I think the UC5 works pretty nicely. Media is easy to use, pandora controls, phone calling and texting is intuitive. Multiple devices are easy to manage. I just use my phone for maps. It would be great if you could use google maps on the screen, but oh well.

I put some marine grade Polk 6.5s in the doors, and the head unit powers them nicely. Plenty of bass response. those Polks move an impressive amount of air for their size. I'm ok without a sub in this case.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah, it allows you to manage pandora from the screen, the steering wheel, and apparently by voice (haven't tried that yet).

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I think this is not "our" uc5, at least not ‘14 to ‘17. Pandora controls requires a data connection to work so perhaps with a cell phone thru your data plan but Ram has a bad habit of confusing people with their radios. I believe many Ram radios do come with a data plan (extra charge, of course) but not the Promaster. It may be new for ‘18 as they have changed the Promaster radio lineup considerably this year.

Paul_E_D has a ‘19 Travato so that may explain it

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I think this is not "our" uc5, at least not ‘14 to ‘17. Pandora controls requires a data connection to work so perhaps with a cell phone thru your data plan but Ram has a bad habit of confusing people with their radios. I believe many Ram radios do come with a data plan (extra charge, of course) but not the Promaster. It may be new for ‘18 as they have changed the Promaster radio lineup considerably this year.

Paul_E_D has a ‘19 Travato so that may explain it
That sounds right! They say,

"All above models have Pandora compatibility onUconnect/Via Mobile equipped vehicles only."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my new van however there are just a few things Id like to fix. The first is the Uconnect 5.0 with Nav Radio - truly a terrible electronic accessory. I specifically searched for a van with Nav and now Im sorry I did. I thought at least you could use voice to give directions - Drive to Address XXXXX - nope. It also when approaching your destination doesnt give the final address which drives me crazy as you dont know left or right side of road- the GPS is NEVER that accurate so it is useless. Bluetooth is OK. So with that rant out of the way - Hoping to get some advice and feedback on what you replaced this sad excuse for a radio with :) Id like Nav probably and also dont want to have the date and speedo flashing so which harness works well ? Almost anything would be an upgrade :) Thx David

·
Registered
2 Posts
All need to do is look at the internet and you see thousands of these radio by uconnect not working properly. I wish somebody made a simple plug in replacement that was dependable. If they please let me know.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
I have the Nav unit and it sucks. My phone is the GPS and otherwise the rest is ok. I am glad I didn't have to order the van and have high hopes for this chinzy unit with a disgrace of a backup camera that barely meets federal guidelines for rear view safety.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,843 Posts
I’m beginning to think a new radio may be in our future, though we are absolutely not audiophiles. It’s sobering how much better the radio is in our 2006 Tundra. Plus, out here in the boonies, the only radio station with music worth listening to is 100 miles away. Van radio can hardly hold the signal. Tundra radio can hold it for another 40 miles. I wouldn’t do it, though, unless we could retain all the controls.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I don't know of anyone who has compared radio performance stock vs aftermarket. The problem in the PM might be the antenna.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
Vans are hard to get "right" acoustically due to all the ambient noises from the outside. I had a Sub woofer installed which is a major help unless you're on the highway with Cooper Discoverer STT tires!
I personally do not like the look of aftermarket radios. They sometimes don't blend in as nicely or light up to match the rest of the interior. There are of course really nice aftermarket units that look great but at a cost.

·
Registered
259 Posts
All of the specs I'm seeing on new vans say Uconnect 3.0, even the ones with the upgraded Nav units. Is that wrong? I'm sure I will hate Uconnect as much as I hate Ford Sync3, but at least the internets says Unconnect higher than 3 can use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Anyone know?

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I believe they call them all uconnect 3 now (2020) in the Promaster. From what I could decipher, which isn’t much, NO, they do not seem to be able work with ApplePlay, unfortunately. The uconnect‘s they put in the Promaster are not the same as the ones they put in every other Chrysler product - they are rubbish!
I should be getting my new 2020 within the next month (if the dealer can be believed) and I’ll know for sure then.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
These vans were more or less designed for tradesman use. Not too many creature comforts. The fiat ducato has such a gorgeous interior. Makes ours look completely entry level. I guess thats why its called a base van whenever ordering parts!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I believe they call them all uconnect 3 now (2020) in the Promaster. From what I could decipher, which isn’t much, NO, they do not seem to be able work with ApplePlay, unfortunately. The uconnect‘s they put in the Promaster are not the same as the ones they put in every other Chrysler product - they are rubbish!
I should be getting my new 2020 within the next month (if the dealer can be believed) and I’ll know for sure then.
Thanks. That's what I thought, but with everyone talking about 5.0 I thought maybe FCA was throwing us a bone.

These vans were more or less designed for tradesman use. Not too many creature comforts. The fiat ducato has such a gorgeous interior. Makes ours look completely entry level. I guess thats why its called a base van whenever ordering parts!
I know the conversion market is still relatively small peanuts, but I always wondered what it would cost for them to design and sell a cockpit upgrade as a true RV package. (As far as I can tell, the existing RV packages such as with the Ford still suck.) It would essentially have a much nicer dash/instrument cluster, stereo, and seats.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
I think FCA is going to unveil what Europe had in 2006-'14 as their new lineup when the time comes for us here. The Peugeot Boxer front end along with the current interior of the Ducato. I think they want to go through all their spare parts inventory before making the change.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts