Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to share my experience on steering issues with ProMaster 2500, but probably same applies ProMaster 3500.

I have had steering issues for a while - first, steering wheel started to vibrate, later the shaking increased continuously, that it started to really annoy me until it was simply not acceptable. Car pulled to the side partially as well.

So I went to a dealer who wanted to replace the steering rack & pinion saying this is the only way to fix it, no problem at that particular moment, but he quoted 2k !!!!!!
I drive the Promaster cause its low cost and does its job well, 2k are not acceptable. It should make money, not burn it. :-D

I went ahead to private owned shops in Atlanta and the second guy I met suggested to replace the inner and outer tie rods - those were not sold by RAM individually but he's done it before with parts from ebay - quote: 250USD for parts and 250USD for labor, 500USD in total. Sounded much better to me.

He ordered the parts and said to come back in 3 days, what I did - he replaced them while I was in his shop, took him about an hour and hour and a half - I was happy to see he put in actually MOOG parts, I feel better with American brands rather than some China products or no names.

Guys the drive from the shop was a day and night difference, super smooth steering - I have made another 20k miles and its still perfect - lets see how long it lasts.

Wanted to share my experience here cause I didn't find any related topics. Really if you want to save money don't listen to the guys replacing the entire Steering Rack and Pinion, that's just money making for me.

Ill be updating on other issues and how it behaves.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Any links or P/Ns?
Someone in your neck of the woods might like the shop's address.

just a thought

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a google maps link - seems like he doesn't have a website.
Shop
The parts I don't know exactly, but I researched myself and that's seems the closest to what I saw, next time i'll buy myself and ask for repair only. That's another 40USD saving. :cool:
Tie Rods from eBay

I think if there is a steering rack and pinion replacement suggested, you should look into it. The steering column can probably break as well, I don't know exactly. ?‍♂

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have run into this issue where the inner tie rods are worn and the dealer just wants to replace the whole Rack and Pinion setup for $3400! and i'm not even having any steering issues other than the loose wheel on one side. So i'm trying the Tie Rods from Ebay from New York. I hope their good quality ones. I'm having my trusted local mechanic here in the Portland Oregon area do the work for me. He seems to think it won't be that difficult and was happy that i found the parts since the parts store and the dealer both told him they wern't available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have run into this issue where the inner tie rods are worn and the dealer just wants to replace the whole Rack and Pinion setup for $3400! and i'm not even having any steering issues other than the loose wheel on one side. So i'm trying the Tie Rods from Ebay from New York. I hope their good quality ones. I'm having my trusted local mechanic here in the Portland Oregon area do the work for me. He seems to think it won't be that difficult and was happy that i found the parts since the parts store and the dealer both told him they wern't available.
please post which ones you tried :)

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the Tie Rods from the Ebay listing above and they were MOOG and they were great. My mechanic installed them and i got them aligned and they have been great.

·
Registered
2019 ProMaster 159HR
33 Posts
I think I am having the same problem y'all are having (2019 w/ 26K miles on odometer) and thank you for finding a solution for this "Alex 1243". My steering wheel starts shaking around 65-70mph with unloaded/loaded cargo area. Tires are at 70psi. Wheels/tires (stock) have been road forced balanced and rotated. My question is this. If under warranty, does the dealer cover this or is this considered wear/tear and I would have to do the above mentioned fix? Thank you in advance. Just wanted to save my time/trip to the dealer if its going to be out of my own pocket anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I personally would go to the dealer - it's low mileage and less than one year old vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replaced my inner tie rods and outer tie rods for my second Promaster with same Moog parts - the first one is 50+k miles in and still wonderful :)

Some say the Promaster tie rods depend on driving, some say its normal wear and tear, i think it's both. I am rather a careful driver so lets see how long it'll last.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts