Ram Promaster Forum banner

Squeaky brakes?

13K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  carryon 
#1 ·
Is anyone having problems with noisy brakes on their ProMaster. I've got about 2000 miles on mine and the brakes have squeaked since day one. The dealer said they don't have access to any brake parts yet and to keep driving.

#8 ·
Usually only once. To the back of the pads. Please don't spray anything on your rotors. They may stop squealing, but they also may stop doing much of anything till the stuff burns off. It's possible contaminating the interface could appear to resolve harmonics but in reality, you really, really don't want to do that.

#14 ·
Cure

Is anyone having problems with noisy brakes on their ProMaster. I've got about 2000 miles on mine and the brakes have squeaked since day one. The dealer said they don't have access to any brake parts yet and to keep driving.
Ok... I had the same problem. Here is the cause and cure.... The promaster brake pads are microscopically too rough. They tend to grab the rotor and let go hundreds of times a second (vibration=squeal) until they get the van to a stop. Sometimes rather a jerky stop. The cure is to put a "glaze" on the break pads and make them smooth so you get that nice even slowing stop. Now what you will need to do is heat them up and put that smooth shinny hard suface on the pads. Normal city driving and waiting around trying to seat the pads will not do. They must get vey hot.
Find a long straight highway that is unused. make sure that all loose objects are secured and that all is clear. Bring the van up to 60 mph then hit the brakes hard until you get to about 15 mph. Then quickly get back to 60 mph and do this again at least seven times. then drive normally for several minutes to let them cool down, then do it all over again a second time. This will make that blueish, hard, smooth surface on the pads that will not vibrate along the rotor. Be careful and safe.
I tried this several weeks ago, and not a peep out of them so far except when turning and breaking at the same time. Staight ahead stops are quiet. I'll take that, compared to the high pitch squeal I had before on every stop.

#15 ·
I think that the brake noise my van makes is unacepplable for a brand new $40,000 van. I'm hoping Chrysler has a recall, and replaces the pads with something that will still work and not be so noisy. Of course I still want better braking than my express van had, great van but scary brakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.