Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an annoying squeak in the rear, and traced it to the spare tire squeaking against the frame when going over slight bumps.
Since the tension on the cable holding it is not adjustable, the easy solution was to lower the tire, cut a small gasket (I used tile underlayment from Home Depot) the size of the tire, and raised it back. Squeak gone!
Any waterproof, durable material will work. Cut it the size of the tire, poke a hole for the cable, and lay it on top!

·
Registered
279 Posts
My side doors squeak. When I grab the inside of the top of the sliders, (tall roof) and shake, I can replicate the noise. I have no idea how to stop it. It's getting worse, and driving me crazy. It's loud!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Years ago I had a Honda de Sol with the removable hard top. It used to squeak going over small bumps. The dealer installed some clear silicone tape at the contact points and the squeaking stopped. It was about 1mm thick, clear, and soft to the touch. I wonder if something like that wouldn't help here.

Francois

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well.. i lowered my spare.. and stuck some foam ontop of the tire and cranked it up...
And now it wont crank all the way as the shaft of the black instertee 'slips' and skips when it gets tight.

I take the foam out and ot cranks all the way and gets tight.

Crank back down a inch or so...
Squeeze the foam in... this time a little less.. crank back up... danng thing slips again when it gets tight.
kinda like it want to 'strip out'..
And the wheel is up but loose.
even with the foam out, and the wheel up, the black insterer seems to want to slip around when it gets tight up against the underside.
any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
970 Posts
Arch, I had the exact same problem. I could yank on the doors from the inside and reproduce it. The tiniest squirt of WD40 all over the latch at the top cured it immediately.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Arch, I had the exact same problem. I could yank on the doors from the inside and reproduce it. The tiniest squirt of WD40 all over the latch at the top cured it immediately.
This exactly. I was on a pretty rough fire road and the squeaks were driving me crazy. I traced those back the the three hooks that go into the rubber bushings in the sliding door jambs. Used some Teflon spray and they seem to have disappeared.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Had that and a growing-louder-rattle on the rear doors. A few dabs of lithium grease on all the latches and it's all silenced now. No telling for how long but a tube of grease will outlast this vehicle I think.

I guess finding new noises is the price to pay for all the insulation work I've done. The PM is much quieter and I'm now noticing things that would have never been heard before...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe the TSB they are referring to deals with some squeaking Spring bushings from the early models. The squeak I talked about was not that.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an annoying squeak in the rear, and traced it to the spare tire squeaking against the frame when going over slight bumps.
Since the tension on the cable holding it is not adjustable, the easy solution was to lower the tire, cut a small gasket (I used tile underlayment from Home Depot) the size of the tire, and raised it back. Squeak gone!
Any waterproof, durable material will work. Cut it the size of the tire, poke a hole for the cable, and lay it on top!
Our annoying squeak was anytime we went over any small bump. Loosened, greased, retightened the bushings on the leafsprings...it still squeaked. Finally traced it to where the two brake cables cross. They were rubbing together and actually wearing through the housing. So much less annoying with the squeak gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts