Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm almost done converting a 2004 Sprinter, and I'm looking to flip it and get a newer Promaster (I think) for another conversion..

Lurking mostly, but I'm also trying to find out some measurements to help with planning. One reason I am thinking PM is the width and the possibility of a crosswise bed. At 6'2" I'm assuming I'd have to go up against the skins in the rear window openings though?

I'll probably ask that again in another section..

Thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
At your 6'2" I think sleeping crosswise in a PM is not practical. The issue is insulation needed for cold weather and for hot if an air conditioner is used. If the weather is only very slightly cool you will get condensation (your breath when sleeping) on the inside skin by the head of the bunk if there is no insulation.

On my PM DIY camper I have insulation between the structural "ribs". On top of those I have 3/4 inch wood strips and 1/4 inch wood panels. This approach provides super insulation thickness and no internal screws contact the metal structure. My crosswise bunk is 5'10" but I am only 5'7" so it works for me. Even with thin panels directly on the metal ribs your bunk would only be about 6'.

You say you are thinking of a PM. I have had 2 V-6 diesel Sprinters and my present is a gasser 2015 159WB 2500 high roof PM. I like the PM far better than the Sprinters, the main reason is that the driving ease and handling are superior in my opinion. Front wheel drive and a tight turning radius is the key. MPG with the gas PM is almost the same as the Sprinters, although the newer 4-cylinder Sprinters are probably better MPG.

(Your 2004 Sprinter perhaps has the old 5-cylinder diesel. Those engines achieved excellent MPG but they were eliminated as they did not meet the clean air requirements. The newer Sprinter V-6 diesels did not get good MPG.)

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
My bed is a bit over 6ft 2in and fits inside the interior factory panels and about 2 ft off the floor so we can slide plastic bins from rubbermaid or similar under the bed from the back doors. My van is fully insulated by removing the factory panels, insulating with 1" of polyisocyranute foam sheets and replacing the panels. No condensation yet even in the East on 8 days of traveling and sleeping in rain last fall. I'd say you MIGHT make it work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bed is a bit over 6ft 2in and fits inside the interior factory panels and about 2 ft off the floor so we can slide plastic bins from rubbermaid or similar under the bed from the back doors. My van is fully insulated by removing the factory panels, insulating with 1" of polyisocyranute foam sheets and replacing the panels. No condensation yet even in the East on 8 days of traveling and sleeping in rain last fall. I'd say you MIGHT make it work.
Soo close!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may be able to fit if your bed is high enough to be in the window area.
Exactly, what is that width? I'd want some insulation, but I can adjust that if it's possible to do this.. Might be worth the extra space.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts