Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished installing a sprinter seat in my 2500 159wb today and thought I would share how it went.

I purchased two older (but unused) sprinter seats--a two person and the wider three person bench. I purchased a set of three seat brackets to mount them, as well. The two person seat uses two of the three brackets, making it possible for me to install one or the other in the same location. With the two seater, it's easy to get to the back of the van. With the three seater, not so much.

I mounted the brackets to the three person seat and took careful measurements for making a template and also checked to see how the seat could be positioned in my van. This led to a really pleasant discovery. The side to side spacing of the brackets actually matches up perfectly with the recesses in the corrugated floor. This was tricky for me to figure out since my van came with the factory wood floor.

The bad news was that the muffler and heat shield were in the way of using the factory holes at the front of the floor brackets. I decided to add my own holes in the brackets so that they avoided any obstacles under the van and captured the flange of the structural beams connected to the floor.

First, I drilled the three rear holes for each bracket from the underneath up. Then I positioned a template made from 1/2" mdf over the area and used a router with pattern bit to cut holes in the wood floor. I inserted my brackets into the cutouts, got everything aligned, and drilled the front three holes of each bracket from inside down.

The sprinter brackets are about 1/2" too tall for the Promaster floor height with the factory wood floor. I had some scraps of white 1/2" Corian available, so I made some trim pieces to finish off the install and prevent any injuries from the brackets.

I used grade 8, 3/8" x 24 bolts, nuts, and lock washers with 1/4" x 2" x 2" galvanized square washers and torqued everything to 50 ft/lbs. Hex bolts for the rear and socket cap in the front of the brackets. (The location of the front holes I drilled into the brackets was too tight for hex caps.)

I used silicone to seal everything including between brackets and trim, and trim and floor.

I haven't mounted the two person seat yet. I'm going to drive this one around for a while first.

I made CAD drawings of my template and of the bracket trim in case anyone wants them.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm unable to see the pictures. If I am logged in, then there are no links shown. If I log out. then I can see the individual links for each picture, but am unable to see them when I click on them since I am logged out. The forum software pops up the login screen, I log in, then the links are gone again.

Does this happen to anyone else? I've tried three different browsers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Master didn't come with the factory wood floor, I installed 1 1/8" sub floor ply t&G . Then mounted the same brackets..... carpet first

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Master didn't come with the factory wood floor, I installed 1 1/8" sub floor ply t&G . Then mounted the same brackets..... carpet first
6go, I have regretted the factory floor. Not because it's not a nice product--I am very happy with the surface and quality of the material--but because they were so stingy with the adhesive. It rattles while driving and when I walk across it. If I had installed my own floor, I could have insulated and sound proofed it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question. How legal is it having the seat back there considering theres only one window in the sliding door ? I live in Alberta Canada but we were considering installing a bench seat for the back because its pretty handy at times.

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Leo,

Great job on the seat install!

Can you share with us where you purchased the seats and brackets?

I want to install a two person set up for my camper conversion.

I would like to take you up on your generous offer for the CAD drawing.

Thank you for the open source share!

Dave

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
I would think the legality depends on where you live. Every jurisdiction has it's own laws peculiar to itself. Having said that, I don't see what windows have to do with it other than egress but what's the difference between a single window in the side door and several windows? If I wanted a rear seat I'd put one in no matter. what some silly law said about it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Curious? I noticed the center floor mount is shorter than the others. Is this common on the three seat units? I'm looking at buying a seat off craigslist which doesn't come with the mounts. I found mounts (3) for sale but they are all the same size.

Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
The sprinter seats changed in 2007, prior to 2007 they used a short mount for the center, and longer ones on the outside. 2007 and later use 3 identical mounts (not compatible with the earlier mounts). Also prior to 2007 the center to center mount spacing is about 19.25 inches which lines up well with the Promaster floor. 2007 and later seats have a center to center mount spacing of 18.25 inches which does not line up well with the Promaster floor.

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
I have a basically new 3 person seat with brackets from a tin for sale now for $450. It's 64" wide if anyone is interested free delivery possible in New England, Penn, NY, NJ

PM if interested

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Leo,

Aside from access to the bolts, could the seat have been mounted forward more? Would it allow for enough legroom? and, provide a workable space to get into the back thru the sliding door?

Took some measurements from your pics and a seat, and it looks like there's not much leeway.

Inquiring minds want to know...:)

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great write up. Leo can you share the part number for the seat brackets and perhaps where to get them from? I'd also like to get your CAD template if that's ok. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Leo,

Great job on the seat install!

Can you share with us where you purchased the seats and brackets?

I want to install a two person set up for my camper conversion.

I would like to take you up on your generous offer for the CAD drawing.

Thank you for the open source share!

Dave
Sorry for the slow responses to this thread. I've been on vacation of the last couple weeks. Dave, I think I just sent you a private message, If anyone else wants drawings, send me a private message with your email address and I will send you PDF and CAD files. Please specify your preferred CAD file type. Or if someone can tell me how to post files like this on the forum, I'm happy to do that as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Curious? I noticed the center floor mount is shorter than the others. Is this common on the three seat units? I'm looking at buying a seat off craigslist which doesn't come with the mounts. I found mounts (3) for sale but they are all the same size.

Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks
I know that for the generation of Sprinter seats that I have, which are at least one generation old, the center bracket is shorter on the three person seat. This shorter bracket is the same bracket for a two person seat (passenger side bracket). Mounts can be purchased from Mercedes and other places.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Leo,

Aside from access to the bolts, could the seat have been mounted forward more? Would it allow for enough legroom? and, provide a workable space to get into the back thru the sliding door?

Took some measurements from your pics and a seat, and it looks like there's not much leeway.

Inquiring minds want to know...:)

Ed
I've now forgotten the many factors that led to my placement of seats fore and aft. I do remember that moving the seat forward was going to place the front bolts near the muffler and would require working around the heat shield for it. I decided I didn't want that hassle or to void any warranty, etc so I opted for a further back position. I've got the two person seat mounted in my van currently and I love how easy it is to get to the back. The three person seat is a tight squeeze with where I have the seats positioned . . . .

Leo

1 - 20 of 43 Posts