Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving back from camping and spotted a Fiat Ducato H3 (super high roof)
on highway 93 (icefields parkway highway) between Lake Louise and Saskatchewan
River Crossing in western Alberta today.

Have a dash cam and got this snap shot. 3 km later another one drove by but
was a medium height(our high roof).

·
Registered
654 Posts
Looks like Euro plates? Wow! I know that foreigners can import their vehicles into the USA for an amount of time, as long as they don't sell them.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also seen a Pleasureway Promaster and it was a rental unit.
I will post snap shots of the other two later as I have to dig them out.

I should of turned around and caught up to the H3 but they probably would of thought I was crazy:eek:.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rockies dreaming

Driving back from camping and spotted a Fiat Ducato H3 (super high roof)
on highway 93 (icefields parkway highway) between Lake Louise and Saskatchewan
River Crossing in western Alberta today.

Have a dash cam and got this snap shot. 3 km later another one drove by but
was a medium height(our high roof).
Man great shot uncubed!!! And I don't mean the van, although thats cool. The scenery and bluebird sky are making me itch for a road trip to the rockies:)

Thanks for the inspiration!

Dave

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,570 Posts
I saw a number of H3's in Poland, but for reasons I haven't been able to figure, I'm having trouble uploading photos. The H3 is so artfully done, at first you don't realize what you're looking at. It doesn't look ungainly at all like the tall Sprinters.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man great shot uncubed!!! And I don't mean the van, although thats cool. The scenery and bluebird sky are making me itch for a road trip to the rockies:)

Thanks for the inspiration!

Dave
Thanks Dave but its not me its God's I am bless to travel through it.
Here is another dash cam screen shot.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw a number of H3's in Poland, but for reasons I haven't been able to figure, I'm having trouble uploading photos. The H3 is so artfully done, at first you don't realize what you're looking at. It doesn't look ungainly at all like the tall Sprinters.
Have you tried Postimage? Would like to see them H3's.
I made a how to in this forum somewhere? I will try and find it and a link.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,570 Posts
Aha. They uploaded. This camper drove up just as our bus was loading, so the photos were taken hastily. The folks inside looked like they were wondering why--

I'm seeing bucket loads of Class C's on the Ducato chassis, very few Class C Sprinters. We are in Norway for the remainder of the trip--til July 16

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The motorized bed is awesome, but the high roof at around 7-ft would allow a DIY build to include a permanent bed over a dinette. Vertical clearances would be similar to the front of many Class Cs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ran into a couple driving a 2114Citroen with a diesel around North America . They had landed in Halifax NS went to the West Coast then Mexico then Costa Rica then Back to the US to Folly Beach SC where we saw them. 36000 miles so far no problems. It had a full camper set up and now they are going to the Outer Banks then Baltimore then home to Switzerland. They said they are getting about 25 miles to the gallon and the trip has taken a year.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The super-high-roof (H3) is for a permanent bed over the dinette a little bit too low.

For this purpose there are special models in Europe:
http://www.neo-traveller.de/Neo-Trav...ger-X-englisch
or the Pössl H-Line (from page 40): http://www.poessl-mobile.de/download...l_Kat_engl.pdf
These professionally made RVs are indeed very nice but well above my level of construction expertise. Having said that, I still think the H3 roof is plenty high for me to build a loft above a sitting area.

Two different ways of looking at this confirm my assumption. First, in a typical Class C the ceiling is often around 6'-8" and there is enough height to put a bed over the driver's seat.

The other way of looking at it is that I can sit comfortably in my E-Series van with a 53-inch ceiling. That leaves an extra 30 inches or so to build a permanent sleeping loft. And that's more than most Class C's overhead bunk area.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aha. They uploaded. This camper drove up just as our bus was loading, so the photos were taken hastily. The folks inside looked like they were wondering why--

I'm seeing bucket loads of Class C's on the Ducato chassis, very few Class C Sprinters. We are in Norway for the remainder of the trip--til July 16
Thanks for the pictures, that is awesome. I would not mind having one of those.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These professionally made RVs are indeed very nice but well above my level of construction expertise. Having said that, I still think the H3 roof is plenty high for me to build a loft above a sitting area.

Two different ways of looking at this confirm my assumption. First, in a typical Class C the ceiling is often around 6'-8" and there is enough height to put a bed over the driver's seat.

The other way of looking at it is that I can sit comfortably in my E-Series van with a 53-inch ceiling. That leaves an extra 30 inches or so to build a permanent sleeping loft. And that's more than most Class C's overhead bunk area.
If you bought one of these (H3) you would have to move to a new place with a
very large garage:).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts