Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,877 Posts
I don't even try to read it it's impossible with my old eyes. A simple digital one on the dash instead of all the date, time, unreal mileage estimates would be a vast improvement.

I find myself looking at the outside temp readout and thinking it's my speed!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
Actually I was thinking the PMC speedometer would be smaller than the PM speedometer. It looks like they are about the same size.

Consider an Ultragauge or Scanguage. They provide a digital display of all kinds of info, speedometer being one of them. They both plug into the OBDII connector.

·
Super Moderator
10,877 Posts
Actually I do use my scangauge as a speedo and it's a lot more accurate than the outside temp reading ;)

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
The speedo would be fine if it was lighted! I can read it but its so dim you have to adjust everytime you look down. If I turn the lights on during the day it is better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't even try to read it it's impossible with my old eyes. A simple digital one on the dash instead of all the date, time, unreal mileage estimates would be a vast improvement.

I find myself looking at the outside temp readout and thinking it's my speed!
I have a somewhat unrelated, but related observation. I too am at that stage of life. I've always had good eyesight, and still do at distance, but like lots of folks my age, I can't focus worth a darn closer up. I started with dime store readers, and they work great at the standard 12-15" reading distance, they don't work so well at computer distances which are a bit longer. So I end up with weaker readers when using a computer. But then you have to remember which glasses are for what use. Companies are picking up on this. While I've never seen them in Walmart or drug stores, you can buy computer readers. See: http://sightlinereaders.com/shop/mens_reading_glasses
The bottom part is your natural reading strength (12-15") and the top 2/3rds is half strength, which is perfect for computer distances. With so much information in vehicles displays now, including gps, the dash and my scan gauge, I find I wear these glasses all the time in my vehicle. Works perfect to read everything inside the car. I just look over the top to see at distance. You can even get sunglasses with no magnification in the top and readers in the bottom. I would suggest ½ strength in the bifocal part of the lens for reading gauges. They can be purchased here: http://www.readers.com/mens-sun-readers.html
I like the proximity computer reader's real well. You can buy them with cheapish frames, which I did to try them out, but they didn't last long and I ended up buying them with prescription strength frames. They seem to hold up real well. They'll cost around $70.00 but much, much cheaper than prescription glasses. No interest other than as a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use my scanguage2 for speed, its so much easier to read, plus I trust the fuel economy on it more than the built in one. Only problem is the orange colour doesn't match the factory gauges, it matches BMW orange perfectly, but not the blood red orange Ram uses.
The PM speedo has a much better font than the PMC and is larger.
P.S
Turn the dimmer up and the gauges will be brighter, but still impossible to read with sunglasses on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use my scanguage2 for speed, its so much easier to read, plus I trust the fuel economy on it more than the built in one. Only problem is the orange colour doesn't match the factory gauges, it matches BMW orange perfectly, but not the blood red orange Ram uses.
The PM speedo has a much better font than the PMC and is larger.
P.S
Turn the dimmer up and the gauges will be brighter, but still impossible to read with sunglasses on.
How do these aftermarket gauges work? Where do they plug in? I looked for a dimmer control but couldn't find it, where is it?

·
Super Moderator
10,877 Posts
They plug into the OBD port or you plug in a Bluetooth or wifi sender into the OBD port and it does it wirelessly.

The manual should tell you how to adjust the dash light intensity on the City

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparently the dimmer is in the menu section, but I had noticed before there are only 2 options in the menu, beep and speed beep. There should be many more functions in there. I thought it was funny the first day that I pressed it to only see those 2 options, 3 if you count exit.

·
Super Moderator
10,877 Posts
The OBD port is usually under the dash by the left drivers door. Its where they connect up to do your emissions testing, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

You most likely have the connect 5 radio so you don't have all the options in the menu section at least that's how it is with the full size Promaster.

I don't have a City so I can't be of that much help - sorry. Perhaps some other City owners can jump in and help you out?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that is painfully ironic.I have a loaded PMC with all options including top radio with NAV but can't access all those other Menu options.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
Both of the units I pictured use a wire directly from the OBDII port to the display. They are not wireless. When you start the van, they go on.

Another option would be to get a bluetooth wireless OBDII adapter. Then get an app like "Torque" for android phone or tablet. I have used that and it works great! A less than $10 solution, but it ties up your phone.

In either case, you can find the OBDII connector under the dash near where the steering wheel column comes up (near the center of the driver's dash area)

On eBay I have also seen modules that plug in to OBDII and connect to a Head Up Display. The idea is that you place it on the dash and the reflection of the display reflects on the glass of the windshield so you can see speed and a number of other pieces of data. Search for "head up display" on d'Bay.

·
Registered
154 Posts
OBD is just below the fuse access panel to the left of the knee/lower dash panel. The gauges run off the OBD power but are "smart" so they only turn on when the vehicle is running through the canbus interface.
P.S
The OBD port can be literally anywhere on the drivers side of the vehicle,every make,model have different locations. Some are below the dash, some are in the dash, some are way near the firewall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/stanislav-dvoychenko/id433259771

I hope I have shown the link above correctly, besides being an old coot, I am not real "device-savy" Anyway it is my fix for being able to read the speedo in daylight. The app is free, used with a smart phone, and shows speed, altitude, miles traveled, etc, etc, and seems to work well for me. There are a few more apps available also, I downloaded two and both work well.

Maybe it would help another poor soul with fading eyes!

And thanks for the welcome posts!

Gump

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To change the dimmer:
key on not started, lights on(this is a must), vehicle in park
Push up or down arrows but not menu, dimmer will change.

Thanks for the help. That adjustment only affects the display when the headlights are on. It is during the day the speedometer is impossible to read.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My only real complaint with my rpmcw is of course the stereo.But my minor secondary complaints are to be expected,when buying a van that was modified for the American market.The dash cluster is one,as well as the overall driver cockpit design.I prefer a foot actuated e-brake,always did.It needs an Americanized center consul,like yesterday on that one.To much wasted space and the rear cupholder on the consul isn't close to being what I want or need,or can reach.Other than that,I'm happy as heck with it.The handling still kicks my butt,it is soo good for what it is,5 stars on that one.Spare tire FACTORY option,MANDATORY.You know what I seen today? I seen my first rpmcw other than mine today.Yeaaaa,I'm not the only weirdo around,lol.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts