Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace the interior cargo lights with LED, primarily for longevity and energy savings. I don't need or want more output, and I'd like to keep the warm light. I know zero about LED. Can someone recommend a bulb?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Search Google or eBay for a "C5W LED CANBUS"

You'll find lots of led replacement bulbs with varying numbers of LEDs. CANBUS makes it compatible with the computer monitored "bulb out" signal. Not sure if that is needed, but won't hurt.

I've seen 'em at Walmart too!

Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Learn from my mistake

the cargo light bulb is 41mm x 11mm (LxW) anything shorter won't work.
This should work: amazon.com/gp/product/B00H04E0CS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I will post once it arrives.

I do have a 37mm x 10mm 8 led bulb that I would be happy to sell you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
https://www.superbrightleds.com/

I have purchased leds for a number of the vehicles from this company. they have a bulb cross reference on their site, but not sure if the PM is listed. I'm still doing some mods myself.

Keep in mind the CANBUS systems on your vehicles.

So far the PM doesn't seem that finicky. I have added some Led AUX. lights in the cargo area. I disconnected and removed the OE cargo lights. Also added some AUX. LED brake lights to the upper red tail lenses where there seems to be a dead spot of lighting. My next project (when it warms up a bit) will be to turn a couple or all of the top, rear, marker red lights into (LED) marker/ brake lights as well for those Truck drivers who ride close behind.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
LED Cross refrence for standard bulbs

I checked today, www.superbrightleds.com does have the Ram Promaster listed in their vehicle bulb cross reference guide. Great source for converting your bulbs. I have purchased from them many times in the past without any regret. they post dimensions and specs. on their bulbs to help with fitment decisions. They also offer load resistors (with OE connectors), relays, etc...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I checked today, www.superbrightleds.com does have the Ram Promaster listed in their vehicle bulb cross reference guide. Great source for converting your bulbs. I have purchased from them many times in the past without any regret. they post dimensions and specs. on their bulbs to help with fitment decisions. They also offer load resistors (with OE connectors), relays, etc...
I want to switch out my cargo area bulb to something brighter. My 136 WB only has one light at the very rear. I looked at that sight https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/2014-ram-promaster--trunk+cargo+area/67-2196--580409/ and only one of the bulbs shown for the promaster is rated for CAN and is only 40 lm. Not sure how bright that is compared to the OEM bulb. Does anyone know if one of the larger bulbs listed will fit or would cause a problem with my CAN?

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Eventually you are going to need lights fed from the aux outlet or a fused feed off the battery but more likely off your coach battery. The feeble light they have put in the van might be no more than enough to find your way in when you open the door, I'd just leave it as is as it is on the vehicle battery anyway. I am thinking strip led's in a yellowish color might be good for real light and could be installed as indirect lighting along the cabinets. The seating area and bed will need spot sources to read or use the computer. In the greater scheme of a campervan that interior light is insignificant IMHO. BTW those bulbs and the CAN are often a PIA!

See:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Brushed-Nickel-White-Eyeball-Reading/dp/B00RDKMI2S/ref=sr_1_cc_9?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1425307459&sr=1-9-catcorr&keywords=12+volt+led+reading+light[/ame]

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here's an idea using the cargo area light as a tap point for additional lighting. It would still utilize the switch and if LEDs were used, shouldn't be a load issue or cause any possible dash warning lights for a burnt out bulb?

http://promasterworld.com/promaster LED.pdf

·
Registered
18 Posts
The CANBUS is not actively involved with the cargo lights. I have non-can LEDs attached to this cargo wiring and removed the OE bulbs as well . The "can" is more interested in exterior illumination such as turn signals and head lights. Sorry for late response.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts