Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My discovery this week was missing spare tire from my ProMaster 1500. Someone cut the cable holding the tire. Estimate from dilership around $880. That is include rim, tire , mounting assembly & labor. & they can't install because mechanics on strike now. Last one is not a problem for me. I am handy enoth to put it myself. At list I will save $125 for labor. My question is does it worth it? I took close look on the tire mouth. Even if you protect cable from cutting over the tire it can be cut by lifting mechanism. For lowering tire simple pentagon key need it.
Is anyone have solutions for secure tire & ptotect from theft? I do not want to keep inside. It is take lot of space.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Art, I just went through taking the spare off to add a hitch to my 15 1500...what a pain in the ass...I read here that if it didn't winch down to use a jack to relieve torque and then it will come down. Correct then on remount you need to add the jack to get it right,,,I need an extra jack to get the spare off...right...anyhow I wouldn't replace the cable...put the spare somewhere else. My 2 cents
Keith

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey Art, I just went through taking the spare off to add a hitch to my 15 1500...what a pain in the ass...I read here that if it didn't winch down to use a jack to relieve torque and then it will come down. Correct then on remount you need to add the jack to get it right,,,I need an extra jack to get the spare off...right...anyhow I wouldn't replace the cable...put the spare somewhere else. My 2 cents
Keith
If it's stuck you don't need the jack just get under it and lift a little pressure off with your legs

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Keith
you don't need an extra jack, just use the one you have

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
493 Posts
My spare comes down fine anytime I have tried. Never been a problem up or down.
Instead of buying all the spare tire and mount from the dealer try the local wrecking yard to source it for you. I would bet you could get all the parts and tire for under $300 easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts