Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got a flat today. To my delight, the spare tire winch wouldn't release the tire. Turning the winch counter clockwise would only allow me to turn about 10 degrees then stop. Click, like it was skipping a gear. Kept trying to turn, no luck. Road side assistance wanted to tow it over an hour away. Told them to go you know where. Had to leave the promaster where it was, get a ride to the tire shop, get new tire. Yes, new tire. 19,000 miles and not enough tread left to warrant me fixing the tire. Then go back and put new tire on.

Anyone else have a problem getting the spare down? Seems to me winch is all plastic junk.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The spare tire kinda hooks forward on a part of the lowering mechanism. Mine popped out on it's own but I could see where it would need a little bumping to the rear of the vehicle to let it loose. When you put it back it's kind of a pain to get it hooked back into that slot. I used a floor jack to raise the spring loaded part of the spare holder up and push it forward to hook.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was absolutely no play in the tire whatsoever. It was as tight as could be. We shouldn't have to struggle on the side of the road to release the spare tire. Luckily I was in someone's driveway.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's spring loaded into that slot. I'm sure you noticed the spring in the center of the rim...even though your cable is loose that spring will hold it there with some force. Maybe tapping that spring with a mallet (I know you probably didn't have one on the side of the road) and pushing the tire toward the back of the vehicle would do it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
mine did the same thing, dealer replaced it. I could get it to release by putting the jack under the spring and taking the tension off of the cable. I was lucky to be in my driveway when it happened.

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
It's a poor design for sure. I had the same problem in my driveway but got it to work after a long time and with the Jack trip.

What kind of driving do you do that a tire is too worn to fix at 19k? I have 50k on my Vancos and although they suck they still have plenty of tread left for another 10k miles or so. I wish they would wear out!

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
The one time I needed it, mine worked fine. The spring seems to be to tension the cable just right when the tire is all the way up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've had my spare up and down probably a dozen times (only once because of a flat) without any issues. The mechanism doesn't look very robust (but it's always worked) that's why I crank it down/up prior to every major trip and apply a little spray lubricant. I'd rather play with it in my drive, than be frustrated when I'm out on the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once I get it fixed, I 'll have to keep testing it. Something I never thought I would have to do. I realize nothing is perfect, but something that's only used during emergencies, maybe a little extra quality control is in order.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I will check mine now...I cant believe how many little problems these promasters are having. I have an early 2014 build. Seems they didnt put much r/d into alot of the parts. Good to see that the later models dont seem to be having the issues!

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
I think it's safe to assume the spare tire lift is an old design!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I will check mine now...I cant believe how many little problems these promasters are having. I have an early 2014 build. Seems they didnt put much r/d into alot of the parts. Good to see that the later models dont seem to be having the issues!
They have been producing the ProMaster as the Ducato in Europe since 2007. There has been a few teething issues getting the Mexican production straightened out but as a whole I'm extremely pleased with my van. Mine was built 10/13.

·
Registered
121 Posts
They have been producing the ProMaster as the Ducato in Europe since 2007. There has been a few teething issues getting the Mexican production straightened out but as a whole I'm extremely pleased with my van. Mine was built 10/153.
Dont get me wrong, I am very happy with mine! Just all of these nit picking issues I seem to have had every single one of them. My build date was actually 9/2013, bought 5/2015. This vehicle really outshines the several E250's I have had in the past. About every 3 yrs I get a new one and will be real happy to get a 2017 or 18 knowing the stupid little problems will have been hashed out by then...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got the notice with in-depth instructions on the spare tire. The spare on 'See Foam' (The van's name) wobbled. If you tried to crank it up you got the click but it wasn't up. Dropped the tire and ran it up empty. Worked fine. Cut a bucket full of foam from under where the tire goes then dry lubed the entire mechanism and cable. Works like a charm. The difference between working and not working is critical to success. Obstructions, over or under inflation, even temperature difference can mess it up. (Yes beside ridiculous amounts of foam inside they also foamed the underside. Tracing an electrical problem on this van could prove to be a challenge as all the wires are foamed in.)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts