Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a kit online, Part# 68289627AA, which came without instructions. I found instructions online for part #82214739AF , which is very similar. I was able to mount the winch without a problem (well the rivnuts were a pain). There was a part in my kit, a round plate, which I have figured out is an alternative way to mount the tire, its a round plate with three lug nuts, guess it distributes the weight more evenly perhaps. My kit did not have the two rectangular parts which appear on diagram to mount closer to the tires. Are those just spare tire stops? Think I am okay without them?

Also, and perhaps more important, it did not come with a rod to operate the winch. Does anybody know what size the end needs to be? Looking in I could see it is a hex and there was a number 2 stamped in it, but I'm not aware that that means anything in terms of size. It appears to be 12mm or larger.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm pretty sure whatev that number is, it's metric.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The wrench needed for the Mopar spare tire kit I bought for my '16 PMC was not a hex shape but a pentagon shape.
I ended up buying just the separate wrench from Mopar.

Why they did that I do not know!

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Spare Tire Install

I bought a kit online, Part# 68289627AA, which came without instructions. I found instructions online for part #82214739AF , which is very similar. I was able to mount the winch without a problem (well the rivnuts were a pain). There was a part in my kit, a round plate, which I have figured out is an alternative way to mount the tire, its a round plate with three lug nuts, guess it distributes the weight more evenly perhaps. My kit did not have the two rectangular parts which appear on diagram to mount closer to the tires. Are those just spare tire stops? Think I am okay without them?

Also, and perhaps more important, it did not come with a rod to operate the winch. Does anybody know what size the end needs to be? Looking in I could see it is a hex and there was a number 2 stamped in it, but I'm not aware that that means anything in terms of size. It appears to be 12mm or larger.
Did you have to remove the rear bumper cover to install the winch mechanism? Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
"... My kit did not have the two rectangular parts which appear on diagram to mount closer to the tires. Are those just spare tire stops? Think I am okay without them? ..."

Those rectangular parts are to provide jacking points for raising the rear tires for changing. I don't know that there are other suitable reinforced spots to use instead, but you might be taking a chance without them. Perhaps someone else can chime in about this. I find it almost as bizarre that they aren't installed standard at the factory as the the whole use of rivnuts to mount a minimally functional plate thing! I guess it's FCA trying to rival the German over-engineering approach to complicate things to discourage do-it-yourselfers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts