Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered or installed a spare tire under the ProMaster on a Winnebago Trend or Itasca Viva motorhome? I was under there yesterday and there may be room for a spare tire.

Initially, when we bought the unit, I just planned on calling Road Service and having them bring a new tire and mount and install it if we have a tire failure.

Any thoughts from other Trend/Viva owners about traveling without a spare?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Not a Trend owner (although I've looked at it closely) so I don't have the answer you requested. I will recommend you consider a receiver hitch spare-tire carrier as an alternative. Like you I'd also want a spare. After having a flat on a rental RV without spare capability I swore I would never do that again.

Even if a spare would fit under the van's chassis, I'd be concerned about getting it out after a flat when the body drops closer to ground. And while I could jack RV up first, I don't like idea of getting under it to remove the spare. Particularly on the side of the road.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. If you can pull it off it will be a great project others will want to copy.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This is speculation on my part since I'm not an RV'er, but I think I'd be of the mind to not carry a spare. 225-16s are about as common a tire as you'll ever find. A truck can come out, mount it on your rim, and do all that while you drink coffee or take a nap. Yeah it's expensive, but it's not thousands..it's hundreds. How many flats have you gotten in the last 10 years? One. Maybe two. So for a few hundred bucks, you don't have to give up the space or weight for a spare. And most important...YOU don't have to deal with it or roll around on the ground. Seems like a good tradeoff to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Actually not. I have discovered that the OEM tire is a special E load rated tire. 121/120R vs the common 115/112. They are load rated about 500 pounds more than the std Load E on the market. You can do the research on Tire Rack.

I was surprised by this also.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I agree that the PM's tire size is very common, but for people who are going to use their vans to explore remote locations, or do unusual driving, IMHO it's best to have a spare provided you are physically able to change it yourself.

Granted, when I had an RV flat I had a cell phone but not Internet information like today. Still, there are places out west where you can't even count on cell phone service. And if you flat late at night, or a Sunday, etc.. in some small town it may be hours before anyone comes. If you're lucky.

The RV I flatted in had a tire but no jack or lug wrench to keep driver from changing it himself (for liability reasons). We were delayed almost an entire day and had to reschedule reservations along the way.

The next time I rented from same company I packed my own jack and lug wrench. Maybe I just like being in control a little too much, but I personally don't want to be without a spare. Even a compact spare is better than nothing to get you out of jam.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Actually not. I have discovered that the OEM tire is a special E load rated tire. 121/120R vs the common 115/112. They are load rated about 500 pounds more than the std Load E on the market. You can do the research on Tire Rack.

I was surprised by this also.
Have you checked the RV tire's sidewall itself which only takes a second? The PM shouldnt need that high a load rating because axles are rated much lower.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
It all depends on where you travel. I bought the van to travel through Mexico and Central America so a spare is absolutely necessary. I bought a spare tire carrier off of a new Jeep Wrangler. Fits perfectly. I posted the installation on this forum.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I hear you about carrying a spare. In my on pm flat tire experience, i was cery happy with the spare, tools, winch which are all stock. But if the tire cant live under the van, it gets to be a real pain. Inside is no good because space is at a premium. Front bumper is out. Back door means you cant take advantage of the wonderfull 270degree doors. That leaves the roof, which is fine but a true pain. Now you have to carry a ladder!

No elegant solution that i can see.

·
Registered
53 Posts
On the Trend 23L, you can modify the storage under the bed to store a spare. Simply cut a hole in the panel that separates the inside area from the outside area. The tire is about 29.5 " tall.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I hear you about carrying a spare. In my on pm flat tire experience, i was cery happy with the spare, tools, winch which are all stock. But if the tire cant live under the van, it gets to be a real pain. Inside is no good because space is at a premium. Front bumper is out. Back door means you cant take advantage of the wonderfull 270degree doors. That leaves the roof, which is fine but a true pain. Now you have to carry a ladder!

No elegant solution that i can see.
The Trend is a Class C and doesn't have rear doors, so hanging a spare off back won't interfere with doors opening.

In my opinion hiding spare looks best, whether inside or under van chassis. If space inside is critical, and underneath doesn't work out, then behind the RV is most common solution. Not elegant but functional. RV tires are heavy to place on roof (getting it up and down). My estimate is that it weighs over 60 pounds.

A hitch-mounted spare is easiest, but in some cases a spare tire bracket is bolted to the rear wall of the RV. That's the way my RV was built (no longer have it). The tire was right in the center about a foot above the bumper. I put a custom cover over the tire.

I don't know if the Trend can even handle the spare tire's weight off the back wall, but I'm sure the factory can answer that. By the way, on mine there was a backing plate on inside of RV to reinforce the wall, but the plate wasn't visible. On a Trend any backing plate may be visible from inside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to purchase and install the option you found successful. I was unable to locate your previous post. Can you please give me the specifics (photos would be greatly appreciated). Thanks a million!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It all depends on where you travel. I bought the van to travel through Mexico and Central America so a spare is absolutely necessary. I bought a spare tire carrier off of a new Jeep Wrangler. Fits perfectly. I posted the installation on this forum.
I have a 2017 Trend also and would like to carry a spare tire for a planned trip through Canada and Ak. Can you send me the picts for your installation. Thanks. [email protected].

·
Registered
100 Posts
I too own a 2017 23D Trend (twin bed) and under the back is my generator where the spare tire should be. The spare tire was removed because of weight over the rear axel. When purchased, I found when loaded I was 990 #'s underweight on the steering axel and 109 #'s overweight on the drive axel. Total weight was 9,350 #'s loaded which was 310 #'s over gross weight. Winnebago did not leave any room for a spare tire weight. I have Coach Net for flat service.

MLogan
23D Trend
Smyrna, TN

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
The steering axle is also the drive axle! I’d be unhappy to own an RV that with the Ms, myself our traveling stuff and the supplies like water, propane etc. put us overweight. How do they get away with that?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I would never operate a vehicle that was constantly at it's max weight capacity.
It's still just a light duty cargo van with a little 6cyl/6spd under all that RV makeup.
That's just begging for trouble.
Not sure how they get away with that
Maybe they count on most owners putting very few miles on them by the time the warranty expires.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts