Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We got this promaster last week.

Today I installed 2 pieces of 5' long E-track in the back on the floor.
The remaining pieces will be here in a few days.

In the event that I would do something stupid, like drill a bolt hole and hear a loud hissing sound coming from underneath the rear, I thought it prudent to lower the spare tire.
I also wanted to be sure there were no brake lines or wiring near where the drill bit would come through.

Well, everything went fine until I attempted to raise the spare back up.
It got about 90% up and then the lifter started making a loud clicking sound and no longer raises the spare.
It's about an inch shy of touching the under body so it will be bouncing around as we drive.

They could have also increased the ratio as it only took a few turns to lower the tire to the ground and it would require much less force if it had to make more turns to lower.

With less than 500 miles on the odometer and it has to go in for repair.
Nothing serious though, but they could have made the spare tire crank a lot better.

I wonder how many are as crappy as mine and they just don't know it as they have not had to use the spare yet?

The tire crank in our transit connect was so nice, that when we went to the tow yard to grab our things before it went to the wrecking yard (it died due to a high speed K rail impact/nose dive) I pulled the spare tire and the cranking system.

I also noted that the spare can be lowered and removed without having to open the rear door like the transit did.
It also had a cable type of security system so it was not easy to take without opening the rear and lowering it properly.

If someone needed new tires, they could just cruise the area and steal spare tires off the local promasters.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We got this promaster last week.

Today I installed 2 pieces of 5' long E-track in the back on the floor.
The remaining pieces will be here in a few days.

In the event that I would do something stupid, like drill a bolt hole and hear a loud hissing sound coming from underneath the rear, I thought it prudent to lower the spare tire.
I also wanted to be sure there were no brake lines or wiring near where the drill bit would come through.

Well, everything went fine until I attempted to raise the spare back up.
It got about 90% up and then the lifter started making a loud clicking sound and no longer raises the spare.
It's about an inch shy of touching the under body so it will be bouncing around as we drive.

They could have also increased the ratio as it only took a few turns to lower the tire to the ground and it would require much less force if it had to make more turns to lower.

With less than 500 miles on the odometer and it has to go in for repair.
Nothing serious though, but they could have made the spare tire crank a lot better.

I wonder how many are as crappy as mine and they just don't know it as they have not had to use the spare yet?

The tire crank in our transit connect was so nice, that when we went to the tow yard to grab our things before it went to the wrecking yard (it died due to a high speed K rail impact/nose dive) I pulled the spare tire and the cranking system.

I also noted that the spare can be lowered and removed without having to open the rear door like the transit did.
It also had a cable type of security system so it was not easy to take without opening the rear and lowering it properly.

If someone needed new tires, they could just cruise the area and steal spare tires off the local promasters.
you problem might just be that the chain bunched up. lower it down and try and pull chain through the center, then raise back up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you problem might just be that the chain bunched up. lower it down and try and pull chain through the center, then raise back up.
Nope, it was lowered just enough to touch the ground and cranked up most of the way just fine.
I lowered it a few times to check/retry and it just goes to the same place before it fails.

It's as if there is a plastic gear and because it was geared too low, it lost one tooth.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer checked it out and is ordering a new crank assembly.

I guess it was supposed to "click" when it reached the top, but this one was an inch shy of the top when it clicked into place.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the spare rotated in when I have the service done. The last time they said someone over tightened the spare and they couldn't get it down. (all service to date done at dealer) No part available at this time but it is on order. I returned from a trip to VA and thought boy if I have a flat Chrysler's not going to come to my rescue. I returned to the dealer and said you need to cut it down and put it in the back until the part comes in. I went to pick it up he handed me a bill!? Needless to say I wasn't about to pay anything. I have no idea when the part will arrive and neither do they.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's been just about 2 months now and the spare tire lift is still not in.
I have the spare held to the front of the side wall on the drivers side with ratchet straps.
I have been thinking of making a mount for it there as anyone can just come up and lower the spare tire and walk off with it.

The Transit Connect we had required the rear doors to be opened and cranked up and down from the inside.
Before it was hauled off (total loss accident) to the insurance company, I pulled that spare tire & lift off of it.
Perhaps I can mount it under there and make a hole for the crank.>:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
My spare tire lift has been on order sense the first week of May. I called and got a case# so I can track it. They tell me it will be Sept or Oct before I see it and they can't be sure of that. Did you ever get yours?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did call a couple weeks ago and they have no idea when (or if?) I will ever get it.

I'm going to pull out the Transit Connect mount next time I have a moment in the garage and see if it looks possible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had my spare tire lift installed two weeks ago. Had a license plate light out so they replaced it. Charged me $19.99 to rotate the tires and $28.95 to change the bulb. WTF! called the case worker she got the entire bill payed. The 28 was an FU from the dealer because I wouldnt pay the bill to cut the spare down. I didnt figure I should be charged to get my spare down on a brand new vehicle. Guess what I got an FU for the dealer. The people at Chrysler I have to say have been more than willing to help and do what it takes to keep promaster owners happy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Saturday I had my spare tire lift installed but the squeeeeeeeeeeling brakes are making is driving us nuts!

·
Registered
5 Posts
spare tire theft

There are two holes in the cover of the area where the crank goes on the spare tire mount. Put a padlock in one hole or get a long shaft lock and put through both holes. #3 master with long shaft should work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently received a 1500 136 Cargo and it knocks in the back when going over bumps. I've also noticed when I step n the back, over where the spare tire is, that it knocks. Do you supposed lowering and raising the spare will alleviate this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I recently received a 1500 136 Cargo and it knocks in the back when going over bumps. I've also noticed when I step n the back, over where the spare tire is, that it knocks. Do you supposed lowering and raising the spare will alleviate this?
Get down so you can reach under there and simply touch the spare and see if it moves.
If so, try to raise it, but the idiot engineer that designed it made sure the ratio is not a friendly one.
If the tire were less than 1/2 the weight it is, it would be up and down real fast though.
AND it is lowered from outside behind the right rear wheel so it can easily be stolen.:crying:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had the same issue, dropped the spare and pulled it back up and it went away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine was clicking before it was raised enough. The amount of crawling around under the van to get the tire out is more than I want to do in crappy conditions so I mounted my spare inside the van and removed the crank up thing. Other considerations are the lug wrench is not long enough to remove the lug nuts and the jack is not strong enough if you have much of a load. I carry a tool box with stuff long enough to remove lug nuts. I'll buy a 2 ton scissor jack that covers the height range required and weld on a feature that mates up with the chassis like the stock jack. It takes 19" to lift the rear wheels. I suggest that everyone do a trial wheel swap to assure you have what's needed to get the job done.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I rotated my wheels with the spare once already using the stock jack and lug wrench cause I had the free time.
No problems, except that new spare wouldnt go all the way up.
The 'U' shaped bracket thing on the end of the cable was rotated at a 90°. I just had to lower the spare a bit and rotate the wheel enough to spin the U and it went up all the way.
Good luck

·
Registered
227 Posts
Spare Tire Carrier Owner Information - S17

I received my FCA Spare Tire Carrier Owner Information Notice (S17) for my 2014 PM 3500 a couple weeks ago. The notice provides more detailed instructions on how to use the spare tire carrier... the notice comes with very specific instructions on how to insert the yellow info card into the Owners Manual and the laminated instruction sheet into the tire changing tool kit.

I got a chuckle because my PM didn't come with a paper owners manual... it only came with a CD ROM. Back when I bought the van, I called the FCA number and requested a paper copy (free)... but I have to wonder how many calls FCA has received in response to this safety notice from owners who don't have a real owners manual.
Phranc

·
Registered
428 Posts
I received the CD only, no paper manual. I was able to download the complete paper manual, all 425 pages of it, as 2015-RAM_ProMaster-OM-4th_R1.pdf from a RAM website. I can't remember the address of the website.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts