Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Noise Coming from the Spare tire Mount .. Squeaking Noise ... Seems to be getting worst ... and Body else Have any trouble with this ?? 2017 1500 ...

Thanks .... Bill

·
Registered
428 Posts
Is the spare tire totally secure in its mount? Get under the van and try to move the tire back and forth and up and down. Does that create your noise? Is the noise rubber against metal?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire seem Solid Under There !!!! and seems to be more of a metal on metal .... Noise .... The tire has a spring Holding it up there ... Never seen that before ... Guess I should read the manual ... Lol But something just Ain't right under there ....Noise is getting worst .....

·
Super Moderator
10,223 Posts
The rubber tire should be tight against the underneath part of the van, if not I suspect it hadn't been cranked up tight enough - RTFM;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
How do you know the noise is coming from the spare tire mount?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I've Been Back to the Dealership 3 Times with this .. the Dealer Says it's the Spare Tire Mount ... They Told me the Tire was Loose .. and said they took the tire down .. and reinstalled it .... ( Properly ) ... So I drive off with the Van ... and No More Noise ... about 3 weeks Later The Noise is Back ... so Before I take it Back I Look it over .. the Spare Tire is tight and Don't Move .... Jump in the back of the Van .. Right over the spare and jump up and down ... an there's The Noise .... we have Done the dealer thing 3 Times Now .... same outcome Every Time .. What ever they do over there gets the Noise Gone for about a Month .. and then it's Back .... an also The Dealer that I got the Van from ... Don't really seem to Care either way .. about my Problem ... left it over there for 3 days once... that was the last visit to them ... I guess I'll have to start Looking into this myself ... Very aggravating to me .. Let's say .. the last time I left the Dealership . I Didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling dropping it off or Picking it up .. I wont mention the Dealers Name .. But sure wished I had purchased the Van elsewhere ....I LOVE MY VAN ... But That Noise has got to Go !!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Perhaps it would be worth removing the spare tire for a while, to confirm that it is the source of the noise(?). (You could temporarily keep the spare inside the van, or just live dangerously.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well That was Gonna Be My next question Here .. and at Risk of sounding Stupid ... Lol ( if the Hat Fits wear it ) .... as I do so Many Times ... How in the Heck do you Drop that Tire ... it's got a Weird Looking Spring that's Holding it on ... and You Guessed it ... Haven't Looked in the Owners Manual Yet !!! as you can tell I bought the Van .. the Key fit .. and I Have Been driving it ever since !!! with the Noise !!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
i had to remove the tire to install the hitch. under the passenger side is a black plastic box with all the tools you need to lower the tire and change tire with if needed. when i reinstalled the tire -- at first i didnt put it in right - the metal bracket hit the frame and couldnt tighten the tire up, but i can tell you if you crank it too hard - it just slips in the cogs. grrrrrr. i was able to turn the metal braket and it when up right , but i can tell you its not the most secure feeling to crank on that cable winch to tighten the tire - its like its got a magic spot of tightness.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Under the passenger’s seat is a toolkit for changing the tires. In it should be an instruction sheet. Read that. Spare drop is easy and you will be better prepared for when the inevitable happens.

Reactions: Vanish

·
Registered
810 Posts
It also could be the rear spring bushings making the noise. I wrestled with that noise too in my 2014. Tightened up the rear doors to close tighter.. nope.. noise still there. Tighten up and shim the spare tire under the van.. nope. Noise still there when driving, and when parked and hopping up and down in the back of the van. Finally, saw the thread about noisey bushings in the rear most spring mount. Replaced and noise is gone for 2 years now. Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks .. For Your Help ... Guy's Really appreciate it ... I'll Drop the tire and see what Happens .. and go from there ... Guess it could be Leaf spring Bushing as well ... Never Thought of that .. **** You figure it's only got 8 Thousand Miles on it ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts