Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
KOV, there are people who need one so bad $800 is a bargain. Relax it’s not your money.

Reactions: Baxsie

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Nice - Good Find

Perhaps this is a good answer for mounting the spare on the rear. It can be had for mounting on the driver’s or passenger’s side of the van and swings out.

https://vanupgrades.com/collections/promaster-exterior-accessories/products/promaster-tire-rack-swing-away
I think that is a good find. I don't need one currently, but if I move my spare I would consider this over hanging a jeep style bracket on the thin metal of the rear door & messing with the license plate. The $850 is steep, but if one values their own labor in messing about with other options it may be a bargain. I have a Jeep Rubicon & that door is heavy with the tire mounted on it. The Rubicon also has a “support” on the non-hinge side of the door (something I don't see on the double rear doors of the PM).

Maybe it is possible to use this mount to carry propane also?

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
Should be pretty easy to whip one up in a few hours with nothing but old scrap metal from my "collection" ! Free is a lot better than $800.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Just thinking about it got me to get refilled O2 and Acetylene tanks for my torch set. $88 so it wouldn’t be free even if I made one (and I don’t plan to.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m trying to find the best way to mount the spare on the back doors. It seems a few people have gone the Jeep mount route and a few have fabricated their own. I’m not willing to pay the $800 or whatever it is for the swinging one.
Here is what I’m debating, and I’m wondering if people with the Jeep mount can chime in and give me their 2cents.
Im looking at mounting a ladder on the passenger side rear door in addition to the spare. I’m hoping the Jeep mount sticks out far enough to go through an opening in the ladder so I can strap the spare to the ladder as well as bolt it to the Jeep mount. Or maybe I’ll just strap the tire to the ladder by itself
What do people think?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Mounting to the ladder might be fine IF the ladder is significantly upgraded. The normal ladder mounts are really just hooks over the top of the door and a few screws into the bottom.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,378 Posts
Making a swing-a-way tire mount can be done for less than $300 and welding is not needed maybe some tube cutting and drilling is all. A swing-a-way can be had for $150 and add a square tub tire mount real easy. The fold down can be made just as easy and for about $150 by buying the parts separate folding receiver ebay is $53 and add the square tub tire mount I din't check but they are out there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’m trying to find the best way to mount the spare on the back doors. It seems a few people have gone the Jeep mount route and a few have fabricated their own. I’m not willing to pay the $800 or whatever it is for the swinging one.
Here is what I’m debating, and I’m wondering if people with the Jeep mount can chime in and give me their 2cents.
Im looking at mounting a ladder on the passenger side rear door in addition to the spare. I’m hoping the Jeep mount sticks out far enough to go through an opening in the ladder so I can strap the spare to the ladder as well as bolt it to the Jeep mount. Or maybe I’ll just strap the tire to the ladder by itself
What do people think?
Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok here’s my 2 cents. Plugger had a damaged back door so the spare tire thing worked great. Put 3 /16 strap on inside to support tire an it’s close to the bumper for the support there too. Used Jeep Wrangler tire mount. So far so good but we don’t use rear doors that much.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
What do people think?
Thanks
Just get an Xtend ladder and then you can access your roof anywhere and you don’t have to worry about the mount!

Xtend & Climb Home Series New 2019, 760P+ Telescoping Extension Ladder 10.5 ft, Type II Rated up to 225 Lb, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PC6P7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9RksEbQK0D9BC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok here’s my 2 cents. Plugger had a damaged back door so the spare tire thing worked great. Put 3 /16 strap on inside to support tire an it’s close to the bumper for the support there too. Used Jeep Wrangler tire mount. So far so good but we don’t use rear doors that much.
looks like a good method. Do you have a link for the Jeep mount you used? It looks different than the one earlier in the thread. Thanks for info!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts