Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking to remove the spare tire from under the van and place it on the rear door, does anyone know of a good tire mount?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jostalli for your reply, your setup is sweet. Do you see any disadvantage to mounting it on the other door?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Yes. You would be covering the door handle.
Hi, Jostalli

The tire with the rims weighs 70 pounds, even with the Reinforcing Kit i am concern the weight will damage the door, have you experienced any issues?

Thank You

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that only when you open it or also when you drive?

I will be installing it this weekend. i have purchased the "Rampage 86610 Rear Tire Mount Kit Extender" and will try that one.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Is that only when you open it or also when you drive?

I will be installing it this weekend. i have purchased the "Rampage 86610 Rear Tire Mount Kit Extender" and will try that one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OMRDQW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
When I open the door? No I'm talking about squeaks and rattles while driving. This van has a lot of squeaks and rattles in the doors and the extra weight just makes it worse.

Now that I'm thinking about it I am going to go grease them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Time to time is useful to lubrificate the rear door hinges to prevent metal fatigue in the door around the hinges (when X250 model arrived in the market in 2006-2007 that problem for some users, for example delivery companies).
Usually when You get the van for service it should be checked and lubrificated if necessary... but You never know... some dealers doesn't even check tyres pressure on new vehicles prior delivery to customers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
dolmundo, thank you for the picture of your spare on the rear right door. How easy is it to reach the door handle? I'm thinking a child/shorter person would have to step up to open the rear door.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I inverted the handle so it opens down not up, I think if you are not tall enough then you will need to get on the bumper to open it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In my build I sacrificed the spare tire for propane and water tanks, relying on a tire sealant kit for flats. I was a little worried that the sealant kit would not always work so I mounted the spare tire on the left back door using a Smittybilt carrier for the 07-14 Jeep Wrangler. This unit has a center post support for the wheel that makes it much easier to place the heavy wheel on the carrier. I fabricated a welded angle iron bracket that bolted to the mounting holes for license plate holder, which required that the license plate be relocated to the right door. Angle iron reinforcement bars were used inside the door to strengthen the mount. There was a little too much flex in the door panel from the tire weight so I added two braces connected at the bottom of the door, which significantly stiffened up the mount. Here are some photos showing the details:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Did you apply anything between the paint and the brackets? Great job on the build. Any way to lock the tire down? I know they're not super expensive but people will steal about anything. Please post up a link for the Wrangler assembly as others will want to price this idea.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
...cut... I mounted the spare tire on the left back door using a Smittybilt carrier for the 07-14 Jeep Wrangler...cut...
Did you have to do any mods to the park sense sensors?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you apply anything between the paint and the brackets? Great job on the build. Any way to lock the tire down? I know they're not super expensive but people will steal about anything. Please post up a link for the Wrangler assembly as others will want to price this idea.
I put some extra thick Gorilla Tape on the angle iron parts that contact a painted surface. As far as locking the spare I think I will probably use a cable bike lock. Here is a link to the mount:

http://www.smittybiltdepot.com/Smittybilt-Bumpers-Tire-Carriers-and-Winch-Mounts/Smittybilt-Oversized-Tire-Carrier-2743.aspx?t_c=64&t_s=26&t_pt=3902&t_pn=S%2FB2743

BTW, the giant wing nut on the back of the mount sticks out too far so I replaced it with a 16mm bolt.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you have to do any mods to the park sense sensors?
The second sensor from the left was detecting the tire so I stuck a 1/2" thick piece of foam rubber on it. The foam rubber absorbs the ultrasonic signal from the sensor effectively disabling it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts