Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let’s just say it was not any fun.
Beautiful day, gravel road, on my way fishing.
Miles from, nowhere.
Bingo, flat tire.
Got it to a nice flat area.
Pull out the jack.
This is where the fun begins.
Try to lower the spare, nothing.
No cell service.
What do you do?
I have a compressor, air not a problem.
I had the spare down in the fall.
What do you do?
Deflate the spare, no I have a little room.
4 1/2 grinder with a zip wheel.
I cut the centre out of the supporter.
I now have a spare after I re-inflate it.
2 hours later, lots of mosquitoes!
I take the complete assembly off, when I got home.
Totally corroded cable, and the gear mechanism, plastic.
Great design, NOT!
The spare now rides in the back of the van.
Another piece of advice, a 21mm deep socket and a long strong bar, those bolts are on tight.
I still love my 14!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A word of advice.
Check to see if you can get to your spare tire?
Lower it and raise again, if you get any resistance, I recommend throw the spare in the back.
I was lucky and had what I needed.
Happy motoring.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sorry to hear that, not fun for sure. Lots of older threads on the topic. The spare tire winch needs routine testing and lubing. Annoying for sure, but for me that's still better than sacrificing inside storage space. If/when it completely gives up, I'd probably mount the spare on a rear door. That worked on our old Ford E350 for over 25 years, but not without it's own annoying issues.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Sorry to hear that, not fun for sure. Lots of older threads on the topic. The spare tire winch needs routine testing and lubing. Annoying for sure, but for me that's still better than sacrificing inside storage space. If/when it completely gives up, I'd probably mount the spare on a rear door. That worked on our old Ford E350 for over 25 years, but not without it's own annoying issues.
Good point about the regular lubing. Does anyone have a lubricant recommendation?

Re: hanging tire off the rear door. I was thinking that for a 2nd spare. Any problems with the door sagging over time? I guess the PM might be different from the Ford and so the experience may not transfer.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Actually, I had not really thought through rear door mounting on the PM. I just now took a look at the back end with that in mind. Like our Ford van, the PM license plate is on the left door. So the right door is the primary candidate.

I intentionally positioned the Ford's door mount so the spare rests on the bumper to take some weight off the door and keep it from rattling. Apparently that worked well, the door has shown no signs of sagging in 25 years. However, the tire really crowds the door handle. We carry a contortionist to open it. The key hole is completely inaccessible, but it has electric locks. Those aren't working so good after 25 years.

The PM's bumper is way narrower than our Ford's. I'm not sure the spare would get much purchase on it. Plus, at 29 inches in diameter, the spare will definitely crowd the door handle. I'd guess it might even be impossible to open, since the bottom of the handle has to kick out. One would have to get out the spare and do some actually test fitting. But it doesn't look good.

Some have suggested the front bumper, but that mount would need to be custom built. Plus there is radiator air flow and license plate to worry about. Some kind of rear hitch-mounted, swing-out carrier might also work. Weight limits would be the first hurdle there. Annoying preventive winch maintenance just keeps looking better and better. Might even keep an eye on junk yards for a spare winch assembly.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
...cut...I intentionally positioned the Ford's door mount so the spare rests on the bumper to take some weight off the door and keep it from rattling.

The PM's bumper is way narrower than our Ford's. I'm not sure the spare would get much purchase on it.
Been thinking about the same style, figured I mount a small platform on the bumper for the tire to rest on while attached to the driver's side rear door.

Use a license plate relocation kit to solve that problem.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi,
Have been thinking about the same kind of spare tire mount where the bumper takes most of the spare tire weight.

Thinking about bolting an aluminum angle iron through the bumper to widen the part of the bumper that the tire would sit on.

A bit concerned that it would be hard to get the weight of the spare on the bumper, but still be able to open the door. Perhaps a shim between the tire and bumper that could be removed when the door is to be in use a lot.

In the long haul, have to accommodate the possibility of spare tires with different mounts of treaddepth-- again, a shim customized to the current spare tire might help?

Gary

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
...cut...
A bit concerned that it would be hard to get the weight of the spare on the bumper, but still be able to open the door. Perhaps a shim between the tire and bumper that could be removed when the door is to be in use a lot.

In the long haul, have to accommodate the possibility of spare tires with different mounts of treaddepth-- again, a shim customized to the current spare tire might help?
Gary
Something like 2 small wheel chocks that fills the gap between the bumper plate and tire. Maybe an all thread that squeezes the chocks between the plate and tire.

https://www.amazon.com/Ironton-2-Pk-Compact-Wheel-Chocks/dp/B00PX1OWA0

·
Registered
944 Posts
Wow, inspired minds at work here. On our Ford, I've never had a problem with too much tire weight on the bumper. When I mount the tire, I just rest the tire on the bumper and bolt it to the tire carrier. It seems to be a good amount of contact force. The tire drags over the bumper when opening and closing the door, but not bad. 25 years is a pretty good test. The PM bumper probably will need widening.

The left side would be better for me too. I often only open the right side. I forgot about license plate (and light) relocation. Where abouts? I've seen them mounted to the spare tire itself. But that preempts a tire cover, or attaching a gas can (jeep style). Thanks guys, I have lots to think about now.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I like these ideas. I want to suggest that there is also the possibility of considerable force UPWARDS from the tire. e.g. hitting a speedbump.

Assuming the hinges are the strongest points, maybe a "triangle" can be constructed with 2 of the points being the hinges (or very close to the hinges) and the 3rd point being the edge of the door towards the middle of the van. This would make a "frame" onto which the tire carrier can be bolted and takes the weight off the sheet metal of the door.

If Gary/Phil can tie their platform to the underbody frame of the van to ensure the platform has no up/down movement, then tieing the triangular frame to the platform shouldn't be too hard. It needs to be capable of being quickly undone to allow the door to open though. A strong quick-release clamp perhaps.

·
Registered
944 Posts
One detail I forgot to mention is how our Ford E350 spare tire carrier mounts to the door. It's an aftermarket kit I installed. It's a v-shaped thing with the two legs clamped to the two door hinges and the pointy end through-bolted to the door lip along the door's inboard edge. Good weight distribution and balance, no sheet metal torture. If you google "promaster spare tire carrier", the images show a lot of options out there.

EDIT: OK, maybe not so many options. Aluminess has a swing-away for $850.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts