Ram Promaster Forum banner

Spare Fuel Containers (type, location, size)

1047 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  GerryC2
I would like to carry a 20l tank for back-up on some of my deeper dives into the backcountry. I would expect to not use the fuel except in case of emergency. then drain after exiting the backcountry and refill before my next adventure :)

Searching on Amazon presents an array of possibilities, but I ask the collective wisdom of the forum to help narrow the search.
  • Plastic jerry can vs. metal? Do the NATO compliant cans seal adequately enough to be stored inside?
  • Many cans for volatile and gas seem to have minimal caps and no locks. Definitely NOT suited for travel.
  • I would prefer not to put a holder on the back door, but a single can holder might be doable. Two cans weigh ~80# and would require some serious backing to spread the load on the sheet metal.

Specific examples appreciated.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
I would like to carry a 20l tank for back-up on some of my deeper dives into the backcountry. I would expect to not use the fuel except in case of emergency. then drain after exiting the backcountry and refill before my next adventure :)

Searching on Amazon presents an array of possibilities, but I ask the collective wisdom of the forum to help narrow the search.
  • Plastic jerry can vs. metal? Do the NATO compliant cans seal adequately enough to be stored inside?
  • Many cans for volatile and gas seem to have minimal caps and no locks. Definitely NOT suited for travel.
  • I would prefer not to put a holder on the back door, but a single can holder might be doable. Two cans weigh ~80# and would require some serious backing to spread the load on the sheet metal.

Specific examples appreciated.
If your PM is diesel, then inside storage of extra fuel is possible,but if all but assuredly gas. Spare gasoline needs to be stored outside because of any potentially explosive vapors that could escape. Try Rotopax or AT Overland.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts