Ram Promaster Forum banner

Spare Fuel Containers (type, location, size)

776 14
I would like to carry a 20l tank for back-up on some of my deeper dives into the backcountry. I would expect to not use the fuel except in case of emergency. then drain after exiting the backcountry and refill before my next adventure :)

Searching on Amazon presents an array of possibilities, but I ask the collective wisdom of the forum to help narrow the search.
  • Plastic jerry can vs. metal? Do the NATO compliant cans seal adequately enough to be stored inside?
  • Many cans for volatile and gas seem to have minimal caps and no locks. Definitely NOT suited for travel.
  • I would prefer not to put a holder on the back door, but a single can holder might be doable. Two cans weigh ~80# and would require some serious backing to spread the load on the sheet metal.

Specific examples appreciated.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018-2500-159" aka Sun2 -NE Ohio
309 Posts
While I can't offer any "wisdom". I will comment that I too have wished there was an easy solution for extra fuel. To keep fuel inside or out of a van I would think some kind of container that could contain the pressures that might build up. I have no idea how much pressure that might be?? Somebody out there knows. People been hauling those jerry cans in hot weather forever. If there was such a thing as a "safe" place inside a vehicle I would have to add a small nipple to cap and vent up thru the roof.

Our van is a factory built and came with a (rusting) 6 gal propane fired hot water tank. We will never use it and I am contemplating removing it for a little more storage. It has an outside access. I thought to store some extra water in that space. Hummm... If it were sealed up it could be a place to store some extra fuel. A garage of sorts.

You could of course just stock up on MAGIC TANK.
Magic Tank
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would like to carry a 20l tank for back-up on some of my deeper dives into the backcountry. I would expect to not use the fuel except in case of emergency. then drain after exiting the backcountry and refill before my next adventure :)

Searching on Amazon presents an array of possibilities, but I ask the collective wisdom of the forum to help narrow the search.
  • Plastic jerry can vs. metal? Do the NATO compliant cans seal adequately enough to be stored inside?
  • Many cans for volatile and gas seem to have minimal caps and no locks. Definitely NOT suited for travel.
  • I would prefer not to put a holder on the back door, but a single can holder might be doable. Two cans weigh ~80# and would require some serious backing to spread the load on the sheet metal.

Specific examples appreciated.
If your PM is diesel, then inside storage of extra fuel is possible,but if all but assuredly gas. Spare gasoline needs to be stored outside because of any potentially explosive vapors that could escape. Try Rotopax or AT Overland.

·
Registered
603 Posts
+1 on the Rotopax (or clones). Have successfully attached the cans to their holders in a horizontal position underneath between frame rails.
If your PM is diesel, then inside storage of extra fuel is possible,but if all but assuredly gas. Spare gasoline needs to be stored outside because of any potentially explosive vapors that could escape. Try Rotopax or AT Overland.

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,426 Posts
I think I’d just reinforce the rear door from the inside and mount something on a bracket. 5 gallons of gas can’t weigh more than a Promaster spare tire and many people mount them on the rear door with no problems.
This is all I did on my ‘14 to carry #2. It’s not elegant, for sure, but always worked fine for me. shows the door can handle 10 liters no problem.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think I’d just reinforce the rear door from the inside and mount something on a bracket. 5 gallons of gas can’t weigh more than a Promaster spare tire and many people mount them on the rear door with no problems.
This is all I did on my ‘14 to carry #2. It’s not elegant, for sure, but always worked fine for me. shows the door can handle 10 liters no problem.
View attachment 91822
Care to share with us what you're carrying in this liquid container and why you decided to mount it that way?

I've been wondering how to mount extra fuel for the van ever since I got her. My ultimate goal is to have about 20-40 gals extra so when we set out on a road trip we don't have to pull over. Slow and steady. Mid flight bio-breaks and driver swaps so we wouldn't have to pull over.

I'd love to be able to mount an aux tank and have the ability to move a lever transfer fuel to the stock tank and keep on truckin'.

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,426 Posts
#2 heating oil (red diesel) it was quick and easy to run my Chinese diesel heater. I put rivnuts in the door and attached it with ¼-20 ss machine screws. This was only to run the heater and it’s a 20lit (2.5 gallon) tank - not to power the van! And, I used it only while camping.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The 5 gal NATO can seems well made, even good for a homeowner who is tired of replacing cheap but expensive 5 gal plastic cans with crappy spouts. Only negs I see, are metal can rust, dent, and the mounting system is expensive..

As a homeowner, one could skip the mounting..

@larry barello

You got a lawn tractor Larry? might be a smart move..

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanted to avoid hacking the rear door, but this seems like the best solution. Maybe I'll hack both sides and get a second spare tire mounted.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought this 3 gallon Rotopax clone for about $70:

Added a backing plate inside my rear door and it's sturdy enough even when filled. I fill it when I go to Baja. Never had to use it for myself, but gave a guy at a pulloff a couple of gallons who said he was running on fumes. It's great peace of mind to have it. No regrets.

Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No issues with security? The tank isn't locked, either to the car or the opening. I am considering this for inside storage on my pull-out:

I'm reconsidering external mounting and using this as it is non-vented and only filling it before heading into the sticks and emptying it when not in use.

There are traditional "jerry" can dimensioned versions of this tank. Those would allow side by side and I could carry 10gal to really get into trouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts