Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I was just reading an article where the wires in Volvos are coated with soy based covering and the squirrels are eating them up. My buddy has a VW Beetle turbo diesel with the soy based wiring and the mice got in it over the winter and chewed through most of the wires. My question is does the Pro master have this type of wiring? and if so has anyone had any problems with mice or squirrels.
Thanks,
Ed C.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I just returned from a month away and the Promaster sat beside the house in an area frequented by Pack Rats. If you have never experienced them you live a wonderful life. They nest, defalcate and urinate in their nests, bring in trash, chola buds (cactus with bazillion spines) and chew everything in site, they love even normal wiring. My neighbor had 3 outside refrigerators ruined and didn’t realize they were quitting because the pack rats had not only chewed off the covering but had chewed through the copper wire! I woke up several times during my absence in a cold sweat and was dreaming they were chewing the wires. When I returned I went to the Van, pulled the latch and opened the hood and NO PACK RATS! Oh I don't Know if the wires are soy. In the 1990’s Germany mandated biodegradable or recyclable wiring. BMW motorcycles had problems with it degrading prematurely.
This source does not list any Promasters on their list of edible cars:
http://www.synlube.com/IncredibleEdibleCar1.htm
Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Funny you should mention squirrels. It is not the soy based insulation other wise the grey squirrels here would not have:

1) eaten the vacuum lines off the evap canister of my 97 Suburban
2) eaten the coolant overflow cap off the 97 Suburban
3) eaten the coolant reservoir on the 97 Suburban
4) eaten unknown wiring on the 97 Suburban (trouble shooting now)
5) 98 VW Jetta TDi sat in front yard for 36 hours. In that time a squirrel chewed the Injector fuel return line (non factory blue silicone) in 3 places. Discovered the spewing fuel line after the girlfriend and I drove said vehicle across town to a PetSmart leaving a trail of fuel the whole way. Thankfully it didn't catch on fire as it was soaked and dripping completely from engine to rear bumper in diesel fuel. Repaired to get home with aquarium hose form the Petsmart fish department.
6) eaten into my garage.
7) committed suicide by diving face first into a drain pan full of oil inside said garage. I really should have emptied that pan sooner into the jugs to take to recycling.
8) made a nest in the stored VW carpet in said garage
9) chewed on the negative battery post of my 97 Neon RT used for rallycross and autocross. Yes, the engine bay is covered in oil, dirt and grim except for the battery. Squirrel chewed the lead. What Soy is in LEAD???
10) teeth marks on the coolant reservoir of my brand new PM 3500. At this point, it became war... end of details because many of y'all don't want to know.

This is all that comes to mind right now. The color blue is slightly more prevalent but nothing is off limits to a chew hungry squirrel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I never really realized how destructive the little critters are. I have a 50' oak and a lot of squirrels but they have never done any damage to the cars. My buddy with the VW had to have it towed in and rewired, it is part of the diesel recall so he is going to let it go back but the mice have returned a couple of times and chewed through wires since he has had it fixed.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It may be cheaper to feed the squirrels. Haha. We spend about 10 bucks a month on a bag of corn cobs. And they leave my vehicles alone. Good luck

·
Registered
538 Posts
Being made in Mexico, the wiring insulation is Tortilla based. So unless the rats bring salsa, you should be OK. ;-)

Reactions: RDinNHandAZ

·
Registered
399 Posts
I recommend a good pellet gun. It's quiet enough not to raise suspicion in a residential area but can kill a squirrel.

On a related note, my dad swears by dryer sheets as a mouse deterrent during winter storage. He stuffs some in tailpipe, air intake, and lays them under the hood in various places. Seems to keep the mice out so far.

Leaving a bowl of coolant out for the thirsty critters will work but you need to put it in a wire cage to keep pets out.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Deterrent has to be the answer. There are an unlimited amount of mice/squirrels available. My Dad (RIP) used to put out rat poison in his antique car and it always smelled like dead mice, which is had plenty of, and we found them about a 1/4 mile in every direction from the storage shed. Dryer sheets and moth balls seem to have some effect. There are commercial products too. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...lent&sprefix=Mice+,aps,227&crid=1WXG0R3A6KS5J
Properly built modern buildings can keep them out. Build or move?
YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts