Ram Promaster Forum banner

Sources for used PM?

540 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  dog_house
I have an order in for a 2023 that is going nowhere (swivel seats seem to be holding it up) and a dealership that was going to sell a 2022 went back to their $10k over MSRP games. They may come around but for now they are waiting for the 2023's that are in transit to hit their lot. This has me looking at buying a used one to do my first build. It will probably be 9 months before I see the one on order so it will give me a chance to hone my skills for when the "nice" one shows up with all the bells and whistles. I had a line on one but the seller got Covid right before we went away on vacation and sold it while we were gone. Does anyone have any leads or good resources to find ones for sale? I'm not too concerned about mileage but I would like one that looks decent on the outside. The ones in a 300 mile radius that I have found are beat to pieces! Maybe @Kip-on-truckin needs to start a PM flipping side hustle!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2022 159" Window
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a source. Merchants Auto has 150+ Promasters and they will ship to your door. They seemed nice to deal with once you get to the commercial sales people, they use an answering service that is just a useless way to send the leads to salespeople. Their prices are competitive with the crazy market right now if you are looking for a late model used one. I hesitated and missed a 2020 Granite one with 14k miles for $35k. That's not a bad price considering Carvana offered nearly $30k when I put the VIN in to get an idea. The downside is 99% of the vehicles they have are White. This is not an endorsement, just trying to help others that are looking like I was. I went back and forth between new and used and since I couldn't find anything local for under $25k decided to go all the way and buy new. Most dealers in the northeast dropped the MSRP bumps this week. It looks like things are getting back to normal.

· Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
1,350 Posts
I found a source. Merchants Auto has 150+ Promasters and they will ship to your door. They seemed nice to deal with once you get to the commercial sales people, they use an answering service that is just a useless way to send the leads to salespeople. Their prices are competitive with the crazy market right now if you are looking for a late model used one. I hesitated and missed a 2020 Granite one with 14k miles for $35k. That's not a bad price considering Carvana offered nearly $30k when I put the VIN in to get an idea. The downside is 99% of the vehicles they have are White. This is not an endorsement, just trying to help others that are looking like I was. I went back and forth between new and used and since I couldn't find anything local for under $25k decided to go all the way and buy new. Most dealers in the northeast dropped the MSRP bumps this week. It looks like things are getting back to normal.

Maybe that is one of the reasons analysts are talking about a possible Carvana bankruptcy?

· Registered
RAM Promaster 3500 EXT
4 Posts
I got mine off of Facebook marketplace. There’s a lot of scammy listings on there from used car dealers and title jumpers, but an honest listing does come up once in a while.

2015 Promaster 3500 159 EXT 150k miles for $14k. The exterior is in great shape because it had a company wrap on it for most of its life. I got a free roof rack, too. Original asking price from the seller was $18,500.

I diagnosed that it’ll need a new left intake camshaft eventually due to one bad rocker arm that wore down the cylinder 2 intake cam lobe. It misfires (without noticeable stuttering) at high, 4.5k+ RPM. I’ll do the repair myself with genuine parts for a few hundred dollars and learn a lot in the process. I still feel like I got a great deal.

if you have the time and patience, FB marketplace is worth a visit. Ignore the super low priced listings since they’re probably advertising the downpayment price.

· Registered
2022 159" Window
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got mine off of Facebook marketplace. There’s a lot of scammy listings on there from used car dealers and title jumpers, but an honest listing does come up once in a while.

2015 Promaster 3500 159 EXT 150k miles for $14k. The exterior is in great shape because it had a company wrap on it for most of its life. I got a free roof rack, too. Original asking price from the seller was $18,500.

I diagnosed that it’ll need a new left intake camshaft eventually due to one bad rocker arm that wore down the cylinder 2 intake cam lobe. It misfires (without noticeable stuttering) at high, 4.5k+ RPM. I’ll do the repair myself with genuine parts for a few hundred dollars and learn a lot in the process. I still feel like I got a great deal.

if you have the time and patience, FB marketplace is worth a visit. Ignore the super low priced listings since they’re probably advertising the downpayment price.
I looked for a deal like that for 3 months and ran out of patience. In my mind a well used one needed to be under $20k to account for the work that it would need to get it back to 100%. I figured about $5k for shocks, struts, a cam and followers, oil cooler, brakes, etc. Since I could not find a used one for half the price of new I then started to look for ones with under 50k miles that were still under warranty but those were 80-90% of the cost of a new one. I finally ended up buying new when the dealers gave up on their market adjustments and honored the FCA affiliate discount. You got a great deal in this market and I still would have preferred to get a "cheap" van to build out but around me PM's are pretty rare and private listing only last a few hours. The only ones I could find had body damage and were beat to death.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts