Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of any aftermarket windows for the rear cargo doors that open? I'm working on designing an RV conversion and with a roof fan in the front, I'd like a way of getting a good cross draft though the van. Sliders would be fine, but the tilt style would be even better. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any made specifically for the purpose. :|

Security is an issue as well, so I'd prefer if only a small portion of the window opens. I've also considered adding two small sliders in the area above the stock rear windows, and that may be what I end up doing.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
TD,

the question is... do you already have the stock rear windows (like I do)?

the best I have come up with is to put one of these in each back door, above the stock windows...plenty of space to do so in the hi roof PM.

haven't done it yet, but the best I've come up with so far. search for "vanair roof vent" for more info

View attachment Vanair_Vent_11-11.pdf

Ed

ps. no room for Fantastic fan on top... just 3" clearance to carport. I can't find a low profile roof vent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
CRlaurence window products

crlaurence.com has a giant selection of aftermarket and OEM windows for vehicles. I do not know exactly what Promaster part numbers they offer but I buy from them for commercial building products so I can check into prices and help someone if they are local or help you find a distributor if not. I am in Cleveland, Ohio. CRLaurence is world-wide. Anyone have part numbers from CRL? I wonder if I can buy on my account and have them drop shipped to help anyone?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I like some of the windows I found on the MotionWindows site.

These look like they would do, but I'm unsure if they are the right size.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any luck with finging custom rear cargo door windows ? I have a good deal on a 2014 Promaster 136 High roof , but it has no windows at all ... It is for a camper van conversion so obviously I will need windows. So I'm with you on this I would love to find windows that slide open with bug screen ...

Let me know !

-L

·
Registered
154 Posts
... the best I have come up with is to put one of these in each back door, above the stock windows...plenty of space to do so in the hi roof PM.
View attachment 7617 (vanair roof vent)
Very interesting idea. Do we know if these work in side-oriented mounting? Might be an excellent solution.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Very interesting idea. Do we know if these work in side-oriented mounting? Might be an excellent solution.
I spoke with Vanair the other day.... it's a no-go. They said that if you leave the vent open at highway speeds, it will probably break the top off! Only 2 small screws hold the top on. They weren't too keen on the side wall mounting either.

I have searched for "trailer air vents" and they may have a better solution for the over-the-window vent idea.

I also have been thinking about removing the driver side rear door window and having a metal blank made to take it's place. Then I could add a Fantastic fan (or anything else) without cutting into the sheet metal....says the guy (me) who cut two 7 foot holes in his PM for side windows...

Still looking for a solution. Promaster City has plastic panels that are placed where windows would go. That would be perfect for the PM, but not available.

Ed

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like some of the windows I found on the MotionWindows site.

These look like they would do, but I'm unsure if they are the right size.

Has anyone purchased this style window from Motion Windows? I spoke with someone there last week, but they didn't have any pictures. I was told that, rather than the Sprinter version that are a whole slider, the rear windows for the Promaster are a t-slider, since there is (apparently) a very slight curve to the rear cargo doors. Sound like a great solution, but would love to see what they actually look like.

Link for the Sprinter page: http://www.motionwindows.com/sprinter-van-conversion-windows/

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Are you looking for extractor vents that work during hwy speeds, or a powered vent when you are stopped?
I'm looking for both... I'd like to keep it open while driving and be able to power-extract off the aux battery.

The key for me is to place something as high as possible to let the heat that rises inside get out, even when parked. My best idea so far is a vent to fit in the metal panels above the rear door windows.... just having a hard time finding something that would fit and not look like a horse trailer vent!

Ed

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I forgot that I posted this here. Thanks for all the replies :)

I've decided to go with long/narrow vent windows on the sides of the van way at the top and all the way back (Above that upper body line on the high top version). I'm still looking for the perfect window, but putting them in that area instead of on the back ended up making the most sense.

I mainly need them for stationary use to allow a fresh air intake for the 12v roof vent, so putting them on the side and up high will keep the van secure and hopefully stop the exhaust fumes from being pulled back into the van. I researched it online and the dead air space that forms behind the van while under motion can cause fumes to be pulled back into the vehicle if the vents are open while driving. The vents on the sides will hopefully prevent that from happening, and the large area should open up a better variety of window options as I won't be limited by the short width of the rear doors.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Anyone know? When the vehicle is off, will fresh air pull through the heater/AC? Or does the recirculate door normally close? Or does the blower and general routing of the airways block flow significantly? In other words, will a power exhaust on the roof pull air in through the heater at all?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know this post is about rear door windows... with mention of drawing air in through the back of the van. I however don't want windows in the back, at least for now.

I have been thinking about a good spot for fresh air intake, I thought that ideally having a vent low in the back door would be a nice cross ventilation set up. Mainly for use when the van is off. I've ordered this vent:
http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Redline/9106.html
If it's stout and closes well and a smaller mosquito screen can be fitted, I may put it in the pass back door opposite of the license plate.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Real interesting product. I'm with anything that provides options and versatility. Really like that the vent tilts open in either direction ... possibilities. I won't comment on placement of any vent on the rear of the van - zero experience. I'd think at speed there's a big low pressure area directly behind the van, but how that relates to possible introduction of exhaust gas or how well it actually pulls air through the van ... I'll leave that to the folks here in the know. But I'm considering its possibilities on the roof (or maybe even in the floor), especially as an augment to a vent fan or sunroof. Works as either a vent to evacuate, or a scoop to force air in ... interesting. Good find.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can remember having an suv with a tailgate window and it did draw air in the window more so than out, but I don't remember smelling any exhaust. Hopefully someone with a promaster or other van equipped with rear venting windows can comment on if the air being drawn inside the van has a lot of exhaust fumes.
I have the above mentioned vent here now, its certainly heavy duty and has "side flanges" that seem like they would keep most if not all of the rain out even with the vent open in a downward manner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts