Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hunting around for hex rivnuts to fit the hex punchouts in the Promaster cargo area. I think these punchouts are designed for rivnuts for metric M8 machine screws with an inch measurement of .431 across the rivnut flats. Someone on another thread was using 3/8-16 Atlas rivnuts that were .437 across the flats which seemed to work. The only problem is the clamp range is something like .104 to .225 which would leave a rather sloppy fit on the thin sheet metal of the van.

I found the same 3/8-16 Atlas rivnuts but with a .030 to .115 clamp range which is much better suited for our purpose. The part number is AES37H115ZYR. They are available from DB Roberts for about 51 cents each and they ship out of their New York warehouse. DB Roberts sales is 800-800-6887.

I believe that they also have the thin head version of the M8-1.25 rivnut with the proper .431 across the flats in stock as well. I don't want the thin head, but if you think it would work for your purpose, the part number is AETHHS-M8-3.0ZI The clamp range of these is .5mm to 3.0mm which is perfect for us.

I wanted the full head version (part # AEFHHS-M8-3.0ZI) which is out of stock in the M8 size and requires a minimum order of 150,000. Hence I went with the 3/8-16 which has the proper clamp range as well as the full head. It's about .006 oversized across the flats but should work.

Lex

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Forgot examples of the thin and full hex rivnuts. The photo with two rivnuts is the thin head version. The single rivnut is the full head version.

AES37H115ZYR Full Head 3/8-16 In stock .437 across flats No minimum from DB Roberts
AETHHS-M8-3.0ZI Thin Head M8-1.25 In stock .431 across flats No minimum from DB Robers
AEFHHS-M8-3.0ZI Full Head M8-1.25 Out of stock .431 across flats Min order 150,000

All the above are Atlas part numbers with a clamp range of about .030" to .115" or .5mm to 3mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The McMasterCarr 3/8-16 rivnut has a clamp range of .104-.239. This would be optimum for 1/8" to 3/16" thick metal for a good snug fit. The thickness of the metal in our ProMasters is around 1/32" or a bit less, hence the rivnuts listed above which are a much better match.

None of the other hex rivnuts listed fit the Promaster hex punchouts.

Lex

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've been hunting around for hex rivnuts to fit the hex punchouts in the Promaster cargo area.
...cut...
I found the same 3/8-16 Atlas rivnuts but with a .030 to .115 clamp range which is much better suited for our purpose. The part number is AES37H115ZYR. They are available from DB Roberts for about 51 cents each and they ship out of their New York warehouse. DB Roberts sales is 800-800-6887.
...cut...
Hence I went with the 3/8-16 which has the proper clamp range as well as the full head. It's about .006 oversized across the flats but should work.

Lex
Thanks for doing the leg work on this. Can you report back with how they work out for you?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Charity, The problem is not finding the proper rivnuts for the Promaster, but being able to purchase a reasonable quantity. If you'll notice, BaySupply has a 500 minimum order. Same goes for Fastenal. You'll find the same issue going directly through Pemnet. It was Mary Jane Davis (inside sales rep at Pemnet) that directed me to DB Roberts as a source for small quantity orders, and gave me the minimums for direct and/or out of stock orders.

It would be cool if Hein could stock these. 500 at 20 cents each would be reasonable if you were in the market to resell them with a good mark-up. That's what DB Roberts is doing. They purchase at 20 cents (or less) and resell at 50 cents. They just don't carry the full metric line. McMasterCarr is also doing the same thing but they charge 68 cents each. I would have gladly paid the 68 cents, but the clamp range they carry is way to large.

Lex

·
Registered
220 Posts
i just did not think $100 was excessive to get the ones you want, should not be hard to get another member to buy some off ya if you were worried about spending too much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If anyone wants to retry Fastenal, they can supposedly order these from Bollhoff, (Rivkle rivnuts part number 2334 1080 230). These are made in France. I have talked to Bollhoff sales rep here in Canada (there is Ballhoff USA), they do not want to sell directly, but she claimed they deal with Fastenal on regular bases and their (Bollhoff's) minimum order is $50.00. My local Fastenal is kinda small and unfriendly and I didn't get anywhere with the guy. It might depend on given manager. I am not desperate for them, but might try again somewhere else...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You'll have to count.
rivetsonline.com has 100 min order at low prices check them out too. Their Amazon store is Jay-Cee Sales and Rivet Inc and shipping is about $7 for 100pc

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked at Jay-Cee Sales half hex rivnuts and couldn't find the right size. The hex cut in the promaster is metric 11mm across the flats which is about .431 inches or so. Jay-Cee's half hex rivnuts are either .375 (9.5mm) which is to small, or .500 (12.7mm) which is to large.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Lex

·
Registered
945 Posts
Couldn't find anything better, so I went ahead and ordered 100. $33 CAD with e-packet shipping, 20-30day delivery. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the AES37H115ZYR 3/8-16 hex rivnuts from DB Roberts yesterday evening. They fit the hex punchouts in the Promaster cargo area perfectly. I ordered 50 at about 50 cents each plus a few dollars shipping.

These are the same Atlas Brand from Pemnet that are sold by McMasterCarr only these have the .030-.115 inch clamp range for thin sheet metal 1/32"-3/32", where McMaster only carries the .104 -.229 clamp range best suited for 1/8"-3/16" thick metal.

Lex

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My local Fastenall rep has ordered some Sherex hex rivnuts for me. The specs look good, we will see how well they fit. Minimum is 1 box of 25, price will be in the ballpark, we'll see when they arrive. USA made, they claim.

http://fasteners.sherex.com/item/all-categories-full-hex-rivet-nuts/-fhl-metric-series-br-full-hex-large-flange-series/fhl2-3118-157-1
Specs look very good indeed. My local Fastenal insisted on a minimum of 450! :eek: Hence I decided to look elsewhere. If you can get 25, that's a great deal. My dealings with Fastenal have been inconsistent at best. Sometimes they will work with me and other times they act like my small order isn't worth their time.

Lex

1 - 20 of 44 Posts