Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks. I installed about 2/3's of the 80 mil sound matting into my 1500 HT PM this past weekend. But I'm worried that I may have gotten it in backwards? It roared inside this morning when I drove to breakfast. It was all I could do to keep the stereo loud enough to drown it out!

:laugh:
But seriously. This stuff works great. It sticks like crazy. The tough part is rolling it into the channels of the roof. I have two torn rotators. Arms just don't work like they did when I was younger. This stuff is a great investment in comfort. I'll get the rest of it in this week and then the thermal insulation begins!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I did 100% of the wheel wells ‘almost hidden outside clamshells’ that quarter panels joins to; at 70mph w/ the inner tubs matted the outer clamshells sounded like a roaring AM radio off-station at full volume.

Rollers didn't work so well for me either, I found using parts of the Harbor Freight auto trim panel pry tool set as squeegees http://tinyurl.com/6t6o2qb works very well for following contours, wedging down ripples and beveling down edges even when buried out of sight. They increase leverage and keep fingertips away from sharp aluminum edges. The rounded knuckles chase inside corners well too.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Thinsulate would likely help and is much easier to install. It's 1 3/4 to 2" thick so absorbs/blocks low frequencies much better than a thin stick on material.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not the thickness that blocks sound, it is the density. As an ex submariner/retired Navy, I know a bit about sound dampening. The thin stick on stuff is really dense. That is how it works as well as it does. The thick rubbery tiles we used on submarines would be way too heavy to use of course. But I'm not trying to hide my PM from a Russian fast attack boat, so the $190 I invested in the thin stick on stuff will work out just fine. I don't have a db meter. But my ears tell me it has greatly reduced the roar I used to hear. So it is KISS and good value to boot. "Better is the enemy of good enough." This stuff was certainly good enough.
My used center console from a Grand caravan is due in this afternoon. More fun!

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Everyone with a smart phone should have a decibel meter app. Free download. Mine is "Decibel 10th" from the Apple app store. Get one. Get a hearing test app too. I use "MIMI test" Left ear 70% right ear 80%, losses mostly in the 8,000 hertz and above. "normal" for a 63 Y.O. man. I'm 66. Know what loud is and wear protection (on your ears!)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cold and storm kept me from working outside for a while. Got a few hours work done this afternoon. Temp got up to the 40's! Did the wheel wells and finished the walls. Just 6' of ceiling to do to finish the job. That is the most difficult area to roll it into. But if I can get a couple feet done each day now that it has warmed up, it'll be done soon. I really like this material. it adapts to the wheel wells really well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I bought a 2014 Promaster with 14000 miles
Here it is, The plywood panels were done by previos owner, they look ok so ill leave them. Im going to order Dynamat for the wheelwells and the side panels, here is a link to some pictures from a shop that did some sondproofing on a sprinter, https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.c...argo-van-2006-trunk-cargo-area-quarter-panels ,Ill be using the dynamat like they did, then maybe some thinsulate, Ill see how the dynamat does first. More pics after install.
Chris

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts