Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used anything like lizard skin or any other liquid / spray able sound deadening product rather then the mat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
google lizard skin transit, need to sign in to see pictures, but you can read the post

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I have no specific sound deadening AT ALL and once the thermal insulation and the floor and cabinets and ceiling are insulted and covered the van is VERY quiet and I believe I am one of only a few who have even measured the attenuation. My humble suggestion? I’d save my money and put in a good foil covered thermal insulation board, glue it to the van’s panels with something proven like great stuff from a pro gun and fill the cavities of the ribs. Most of that other stuff is unneeded and expensive. Perhaps cover the wheel wells with Dynamat or similar, perhaps some in the speaker housings too, insulate inside the doors, and move on. If you are then happy with the sound characteristics (and I think you will be) send the money you saved to me. I can take Paypal, credit card, debit card, cash in US$ or CAN$ or even MX Pesos. Think before you spend. LOL

·
Registered
538 Posts
RD is right. No need to spend big bucks. 100 sq ft of sound mat will cover the walls and roof of a 136" PM very well. That includes fully covering the wheel wells. Makes a huge difference in noise levels. A good floor covering will help greatly too. I only spend a few hundred dollars doing mine and it is very quiet at 70 mph. Couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Please stand by.. I am in the process of applying Hi-tech SC1000 in my van build. If only the weather would cooperate. Supposedly it is on par with lizard skin yet costs less. weight calculations show up to 150 pounds less than using Noico 50 mil butyl sheets. I have taken sound meter readings in both the A and C weighting as a base line. My adhesive test today showed the XPS foam sheared off leaving the gorilla glue and XPS skin so it looks like no problems gluing on Polyiso or whatever else extra insulation on top of this paint type product.

My test piece, section of a crashed fender, seemed slightly less ringy after 2/3 coated with primer and the other 2/3 coated with the SC1000 with a 1/3 overlap. I was more interested in glue adhesion test on top of the paint than sound qualities. To be effective it is supposed to be .020" to .025" thick at minimum.

I am slightly skeptical and will post the sound results once I get it applied.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
RD, could you give the link to your sound page? I think I read that you measured before and after and were asking others to post similar tests (but the page sure isn't bookmarked??). Thx
Yes I did post it and I will keep looking for it but so far I’m not finding it. Until proven wrong (likely) my memory is the sound reduction was 10 dB from about 80 to 70 on the same road, same speed, same meter, similar wind/weather conditions. That sees like not much? Remember the sound scale (and our perception of it) are logarithmic so a reduction of 10 dB is about 1/10th the sound intensity. (3 dB increase is a doubling, or decrease a halving)
For perspective a really high quality and quiet car can have dB readings in the low 60’s
A noisy truck in the mid to high 70’s. Our vans begin much louder than these! I’d be thrilled to see someone get 60’s in our van at say 50 mph. Much more could be done on this topic, tedV865.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
We have had great results with Thinsulate(TM) for noise reduction and thermal insulation. Those customers who have not installed additional noise treatments are very satisfied with how quiet their van is. Here is how the Thinsulate absorbs noise:

How Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation Works
Our (3M) insulation is a unique non-woven acoustic absorber composed of polyester and polypropylene fibers. The polypropylene fibers are extremely fine, producing a high-energy absorption characteristic with low weight. The polyester fibers are added to strengthen the web, while the scrim protects and contains the fibers.
Please PM or call for a sample. -Hein, Impact Inc. 54l 49O 5O98

1 - 10 of 10 Posts