Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to put the walls in my PM but before they are put in I would like to install sound dampening (sound deadening, hush mat, fatmat, rattle trap, dynamat, etc) to reduce the noise.

My questions are;

1. How many square feet did others order for a 159"? Will 50 sq ft work?
2. How much coverage did you use in the area where installed?
3. How did others install this on the roof? I see some have just filled in the ribs? Others have square patches?

For the second point, I have heard to only cover 25% of the area you install it to?

I found on Amazon the Fatmat Rattle Trap 80mil x 50 sq ft for $110. This seems to be a good thickness and price for a sound dampening material. Just want to make sure to install the right stuff the first time as I don't want to uninstall it.

I have some denim insulation going in for the insulation but this should also help with sound deadening.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I would suggest 3M Thinsulate(TM) sound/thermal insulation that is engineered for vehicles and used by OEMs like Honda. Denim (cotton) is not suitable for vehicles because it can absorb moisture. Thinsulate is hydrophobic.

There is no need for Dynamat, Hushmat, or other similar products where you install Thinsulate. This saves cost, weight, and effort. It will dampen the resonance of body and interior panels it is in contact with. Thinsulate SM600L has very good noise absorption performance at lower frequencies due to it's thickness (1.75"). Thinsulate is easy and safe to DIY install. It cuts with ordinary scissors.

Please PM me for a sample or call if you need immediate assistance.

All the best,
Hein
Impact, Inc.
54l 49O 5O98

·
Registered
763 Posts
We went with 40-pound box B-Grade SecondSkin dampifier, with shipping $280 (<--OUCH). Received 46 pounds to work with, by weight about 60% 2mm thick and 40% 1mm thick stock... Seriously invested it on the doors, probably 35 to 50% coverage... went by weight, didn't measure square feet used.

I'll not bother doing body sheet metal, except high roof slope above cab area - everything is to be built in and covered w/ foam/denim/plywood, what really was noisiest in my opinions were the doors & wheelhouses acting as drum skins...

10 pounds got Promaster high-roof back doors closing Lexus quiet AND set up the door cavities as excellent speaker boxes.

12 pounds on the cargo areas wheelhouse (wheel wella) inner/outer tubs snubbed 70mph highway sympathy sounds.

8 pounds turned the side sliding cargo door into a limousine quiet open/close sound, make sure you invest some in the pillars too.

A couple of sheets backed up the new door speakers, more to follow if/when I pull door liners.

The remainder will be going into the cab area once I get brave enough to yank liners, and may order more if I ever pull apart the dashboard and flooring, thanks for the tip on the FatMat...

Your mileage will vary!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm afraid I'll have to call you on that claim, with all due respect, Thinsulate is a good product but it has its limitations, Dynamite, Hushmat or 3M vibration control tape are similar products and will aid in noise/vibration department. That is, if you want as much noise control as possible. All you have to do is look at a modern higher end car and you will find variations of Hushmat and other types of sound control materials in different areas.
Here's a similar 3M product:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...-Control-Tape-CL1151?N=4607+3292658961&rt=rud

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally installed some sound dampening from Noico, 80mm thick. Made a huge difference in the sound that the sliding door makes. Also, the back doors aren't so noisy either. I haven't had the time yet to add it to the wheel wells in the front or back, but I will hopefully tackle that this weekend.

I will probably go overkill with this stuff, but I would rather it be that way than how it is now.

Interesting enough, on the back doors at the bottom and the sliding door it seems there is some factory dampening already there. Different material but very rigid. I took a picture of the sliding door, you can see it at the bottom.

Attachments

Reactions: Quest4Adv

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used a 100 sqft. on my walls, and roof and doors on my PM. .8mm thick. Cost was about $180 delivered. Made a big difference in noise. Especially during downpours!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went with Car Insulation from carinsulation.com , I used 200sqft to do my entire promaster. It made a big difference with both heat and sound which was a huge plus for me. I would highly recommend their product, do your research! :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I went with Car Insulation from carinsulation.com , I used 200sqft to do my entire promaster. It made a big difference with both heat and sound which was a huge plus for me. I would highly recommend their product, do your research! :)
I see that this does not have an adhesive backing. What did you use to secure the "Car Insulation"?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts