Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Considering purchasing a Promaster 118 WB. I want to build a stealth camper. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to building things, so this will be an interesting project. Nice to meet you.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm rolling a 118 . Just have to be more clever when making your camper . I'm going the stealth mode as much as possible . I would say that you camp out of a 118 instead of camp " in ".
Use the google for 118" and see what others have done with theirs .
And welcome, join the party !!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also just got a 118......and on the fence if i should have got a 136 or not....but I love the fact that i can do a u turn on my street to park it every night, and it's 6'' shorter than the nissan frontier that I'm replacing as a daily driver. I've only had it 3 weeks, and I bought mine used, I've already identified several things about it that if I was going to buy a new one would definitely do..........so far the list

1. I'd do a radio delete and go with a aftermarket radio. (I have the uconnect 5.0), radio is also tied into other stuff
you don't expect it to be
2. I'd go with a aftermarket rearview camera, no need for the bulky box with low res camera
3. opt for the upfitter switches.
4. the power folding/heated mirrors are awesome, don't get one without them
5. get the extra fobs, I only have one.....and dealers have quoted me 2-300 each for extras
6. get the cruise control, I wish I had it, I wouldn't say it's difficult to keep at speed, but not as mindless as my other
vehicles.
7. the floor coverings and wall coverings are cheap add on's unless you plan on doing something fancy.
8. If you plan on having more than 2 passengers, opt for the 3 seat.
9. factory floor mats are a joke

I more love it than hate it, but if I were to buy one new, there are several things that I'd get different

·
Registered
834 Posts
Take time to read the build threads. Alot for the big vans that won't work for us shorties but good details inside that relate. Take notes of what you like as finding the post months later can be tough.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,562 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,116 Posts
Hi and welcome,

I'd take some time to work on inside layouts before you make the final decision on 118 vs 136.

When you see a layout you like on paper, take the time to mark it out full size in your living room with cardboard and furniture (or whatever is easy) and see how you like it. Nothing like a full size mockup to help with the decision.

Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback everyone!

I plan on buying used. My intention is to build a stealth camper which I hope to one day go full time. The 118 appeals to be because: 1) its easy to park, 2) i think its slightly more stealthy due to small footprint, and 3) I can fit/park it in my driveway while I build it out (high roof wouldn't fit).

I see that many people advise for the bigger/taller models for camper use. I want a very minimalistic setup, but do want a furnace and a sink/stove as I cook most of my meals. Am I crazy to try to make it happen in a 118? I really like the compact size. Just concerned about having enough storage or comfortable cooking/living in a small space.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
834 Posts
KOV always gots the best ideas. But I stooped in my Econoline for almost 30 years. Got the 118 and still amazed at the volume over the E. The headliner and floor to be added will make me scrunch a skoch . At least in the PM the dome light won't scalp me like in the old E. I admire the full size PMs but I'm happy with the 118" . And if I can get MM to finish it . . . . .

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
KOV always gots the best ideas. But I stooped in my Econoline for almost 30 years. Got the 118 and still amazed at the volume over the E. The headliner and floor to be added will make me scrunch a skoch . At least in the PM the dome light won't scalp me like in the old E. I admire the full size PMs but I'm happy with the 118" . And if I can get MM to finish it . . . . .
Thanks but I borrow most of them from others! I'm fortunate in that I can look at a photo of something and then just go and recreate it myself - sometimes better, sometimes not.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 118 low roof is a real cutie - it just doesn't fit my needs in life ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts