Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So on one of my 118 1500's,when I go to fill up, it will not let me put about the last 3 gallons in. It's happened twice.

I'll begin pumping and it'll click off just as it would if it was full. Turn the key to run position and it's about 1/8" below the full mark on the dash. No matter what I do i can't pump anymore in. It should fit at least 3 more gallons in at this point. Go into the gas station to get a few things, go back out, swipe my card again and still click. Take the truck down the road less than a mile, turn around, come back to the station.. Pump 3.5 more gallons in. Wtf? Twice..?

Happened last week as well, just different place. And this isn't because of a card limit at the pump. Have pumped over 140.00 into my Cummins with no problem many times.

Happen to anyone?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Might be a plugged charcoal canister. It vents the fuel system. They plug when people over fill. Just an FYI for everyone, never pump fuel past the first click. Packing it in is bad news.

Not saying you do that, just that it could be your issue.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
This is typically a problem with diesel fuel foaming up, not gas, but the same thing happened to me today. I did notice the pump was a fast one and I had it set on automatic fill so perhaps the speed of the pump causes this to happen?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine does that, too. There is one local filling station where I can only fill the tank by holding the handle manually at a very slow setting to avoid tripping the automatic shutoff. There must be some sort of issue with the design of the filler neck.

·
Super Moderator
726 Posts
That reminds me of another issue that happened once: don't know exactly how it reads in English, but the display that tells you how many miles to go on the tank didn't reset when the tank was filled (no self-service in Oregon).

It took a couple of fills before it came back to normal. I tough it was the sensor, but I am starting to suspect that there are bugs in the computer's software.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've never been able to get more than about 21 gallons in, even when, according to the gauge and warning light I was running on fumes. I thought this tank was 24.5 gallons, what's going on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ran out of gas the first week I owned my PM! I was used to my Chevy that seemed to be able to go on fumes for miles! Was only able to put just over 22 gallons in. otherwise I've never been able to get more than about 21.5 gallons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this happens to me almost every time I fill up. If I set the pump to full throttle and lock it on it always shuts off within a few seconds. If I'm close to empty I have to fill all 20 something gallons holding the pump at the slowest trickle otherwise it clicks off. It has been this way since I got it and it drives me nuts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the arco by my house won't let me fill it up either. the nozzle keeps going off. the next arco down the street does let me fill it up with no problems. i think it's the speed of the delivery or maybe the amount of bubbles when it comes out too fast.

·
Registered
424 Posts
this happens to me almost every time I fill up. If I set the pump to full throttle and lock it on it always shuts off within a few seconds. If I'm close to empty I have to fill all 20 something gallons holding the pump at the slowest trickle otherwise it clicks off. It has been this way since I got it and it drives me nuts.
I am on the first long road trip with mine, and it is doing this. If there is any known solution, please advise!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The only thing that helps when i fill is, i set it to fill then when it clicks super early i tip the handle towards the van so it goes straight down instead of splash down the filler. It seams to fill the van every time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine will not let me fill it any further whatsoever once it's clicked the first time. Even if I just barely open the gas pump it clicks right off.. Again, still with a 4 gallon void in the tank. It's happened twice more since my original post.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Filled mine a few times now. The first two were very sensitive to flow - full shut it off, first click or holding by hand was the only way to keep it flowing. The next few times it worked just fine. I think it's a combination of the neck/piping to the tank and the venting system at the pump causing the flow issues. I noticed that pumps that have the bigger/fuller seal at the handle are the ones I'm having problems at. The ones with seals that don't fit so tight seem to "leak" enough they don't cause any problems.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Reviving this one, seems a bit ridiculous that it takes 20 mins to fill a tank because the pump shut off. Pretty much every gas station I fill up at I am constantly fiddling with the pump to not get it to shut off!

Sometimes the slow method works, but not always. I have pulled the pump nozzle almost all the way out of the gas filler and that seems to help but even that doesn't always work. It is amazing the small details that companies can overlook and that makes users frustrated!

Have there been any solutions that anyone knows of?

Reactions: BoCool

·
Registered
747 Posts
Walmart/Samsclub diesel, probably the lowest grade fuel oil legally sold in the known universe, foams so badly it'll erupt from my Promasters filler such that the clumps of bubbles slide down the body and fall to the pavement without breaking. Thems be some tough bubbles. The other brand that I've had foaming shut-offs with with is Quik Trip.

From what I've read it's the waxes suspended in those certain flavors of fuel that foam, and that mostly depends on IF the pipeline final delivery terminal blended in any/enough anti-foaming additives before they loaded the product into the delivery tanker trucks that supply the retail stations. Nothing that the end user can do about it except pour body english on while trying to pump it.

I've used the semi-rig fueling lanes with the high volume pumps without incident; BP, Mobil, Exxon, Shell... except RESIST temptation to top it off once it clicks off as even a teeny flick of the filler valve will project out a pulse of diesel that splash dries the top six inches of the filler spout to soak anything within three feet with fuel.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I've used the cheapest and the most expensive gas money can buy from coast to coast. It makes no difference!!! Different pumps pump it differently. It's a fact of life. If you pump slowly you can usually fill it all the way and if you pump till it shuts off automatically you can usually always pump another 3 or 4 gallons in to really fill it. As Frankie said "D'ats life"

I'm speaking G-A-S here not diesel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts