Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have the knowledge and no need for me to re-invent the wheel :)
Can you provide a link to order 4 windows. I trust you know who makes good ones.
I need-
1 big window that vents (I think at the bottom) for the sliding door.
2 windows, one for each rear door
1 window on rear drivers panel where our side to side platform bed will go, this window needs to be 1/2
height if that makes any sense! Our platform bed is going up 1-1.5 fee higher than the obvious support beam
to accommodate storage underneath we need.
The good news is we've found someone to install them. I just need to get them ordered and in route.
Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same bed setup as you. I couldnt spend the $1000 for sliding rear windows, so here is my $100 fix. It also puts the fresh air where I need it at night with the high bed. Possibly better security that the rear slider as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,821 Posts
I highly recommend Motion Windows. I have them on both sides, first window went in April, 2015.

http://www.motionwindows.com/ram-promaster-van-conversion-windows/

They can make whatever size you need. Taller ones have a bend to accommodate the curve in the side of the van. At least one person here has installed both Motion and CRL and considers Motion to be higher quality.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
Try eBay there are lots of surplus odd windows there for cheap you should have no problem finding what you want for under $200 max for several.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used the motion windows as well and am very happy with them. I went to my local glass distributor and they had a motion window account, so I was able to get them without paying shipping as well.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I didn’t either so I found two Kinro 30”w by 15” high on ebay with shipping for $183.24 total. It was a good choice as they turned out to be the perfect height and width, the awnings can be left open in rain, and they work well and don’t make noise on the road. If such are available I’d do it again.... dam the cost!

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,125 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
I didn’t either so I found two Kinro 30”w by 15” high on ebay with shipping for $183.24 total. It was a good choice as they turned out to be the perfect height and width, the awnings can be left open in rain, and they work well and don’t make noise on the road. If such are available I’d do it again.... dam the cost!
Actually I recommended the supplier and windows to RD and while his are slightly smaller than mine we are both more than satisfied with them. No need at all to spend more than $80-$90 each for awning windows with screens unless you want the factory windo van look.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the suggestions.
Per those suggestions we surfed to CRL windows and Motion Windows.
The better-half (who I'll refer to from now on by her nickname Poof) instantly liked
the Motion Windows and the reason why is because she saw you can open/vent the rear
door windows. I too think that is huge but I've not scoured e-bay for samie models.

Now one last question on windows please (and I do thank each of you for saving me a lot of thought angst).
That rear panel (far back drivers side), where we want a single 'thin' window and hopefully an operable/venting
one-----can we do that WITHOUT removing the support pillar??
The Motion Window RMM-SS looks to fit the bill but I cannot tell.
We have the 136 inch Hgh Roof WB by the way.
I realize many here have removed the vertical support beam but we cannot our heads around the fact that it is
there and in our minds for a reason ???
Having said that, if we just don't want to remove the support can we not also use the same rear door window,
the P/N 118-4 above our bed if it fits since our bed will be higher than 'normal' ??
Robert

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
It is there for a reason, to keep that panel from oil canning (going boing and taking a new shape). It is not for structural support for the top of your van. The reason for that will be obvious when you cut it out, it’s just a flimsy piece of light metal with a spot welds. It couldn’t hold up much of anything. Cut it out and be happy! Some folks have moved it forward or back a bit and reattached it. The window frame will suffice to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
RD is correct.

Remember not to drive with the read door window open also if you go that route. There is a very good reason opening rear door windows are like hens teeth.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,821 Posts
As further validation for removing that support, FCA publishes a guide for upfitters. Upfitters are warned that if they mess with the horizontal beams above and below the window opening, they must brace. That puny vertical in the middle is never even mentioned.

Either way you go with the support, Motion Windows will make any size you want down to the 1/8" and charge by square inches. At least that's what they did for me. IIRC, I dealt with Jeff. Call them.

Consider how dirty the back of a van can get. Does your wife really want to clean all those crevices in an operable window?

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Oh Wives do that? I guess I was never told that! This forum is a fount of knowledge. Now I'll have to give her a bucket and sponge as a New Years Present.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
Make sure you have your hockey helmet and raincoat on when you do ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts