Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have mounted one Solar World SW-290 panel on the roof of our PM. Got the cables to the inside through a Renogy cable entry housing via the backup camera housing. That all worked well. Now that the cables are inside the van it is time to get them to the 30 amp MPPT controller. What I need to decide on is do I use a fuse or a breaker between those two and does it matter if it is closer to the panel or closer to the controller. I actually cut the Amphenol H4 connectors off of the + and – cables coming from the panel. That so that I could pass the cables through the Renogy housing. I have 10awg solar cable that I plan to use to extend those cables to the controller. Soldering and shrink tubing is the plan for now.

Choosing what type of fuse or breaker to use and where to use it has me at a stand still. Any advise or recommendation for specific products will be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
10,877 Posts
It doesn't hurt to put a switch on the positive side tho just in case you want to disconnect the panel from the controller for some reason

Reactions: SVan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 30 amp Buwico Inline breaker on my positive feed- Renology does recommend a breaker on this circuit- In the "download" section at the Renology website they have a installation manual that is really informative and covers all aspects of a solar intallation

·
Super Moderator
10,877 Posts
I just got a pair from Amazon and I’ll be putting them in next week

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
274 Posts
The above breaker is fine and have a nice feature in covering the connections. While not required on the input to the MPPT controller, it's nice to have. The reason it is not required, is the panels are current limited. They aren't outputting more than their rated amperage and your cable is rated for that amperage. Also print out a note or reminder to "Never Disconnect the Battery before solar panels." to be located near the controller. Some larger systems need fuses at the panel when mixing them in series and parallel.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
I have a bunch of the aforementioned Inline Breakers in my electrical system.

Another advantage over fuses is that these breakers are also switches.

No solar here, but I'm guessing that the best way to turn off solar for wiring work is to throw a heavy blanket over the panels (or work at night?)

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I have a cheapo little switch. Just remember not to restart the solar panels until the batteries are reconnected. Not remembering this on several occasions has not damaged my Tracer MPPT controller. I need a small note beside that switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts