Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just discovered this product through another member's forum and was interested to know if anyone has installed one. I just ordered an isotemp square water heater a few days ago. I'm wondering if I made a mistake? This seems simpler-to install, maintain and like the fact I won't be messing around with the engine (warranty issues). We will be using our camper mostly for weekend adventures and will not be living out of it or staying in it for long extended times. Any thoughts? Website: http://shop.heliatos.com/Kits-for-RVs-and-Boats_c24.htm

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
A better question might be "Do I really need a hot or even cold shower for weekend camping trips?"

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't incorporate the panels into your Isotemp heater (In place of the engine loop). That said, I think using the heat from the engine would be far more useful and reliable (And really less complicated since it's all built into the Isotemp).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We get pretty smelly since we are avid mountain bikers. Our typical bike ride is usually 3-4 hrs long and you definitely don't want to hang out with us after the ride :) Also, in the next 2-3 yrs, we are planning on doing much longer adventure trips (2-3 months).

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
This solar unit looks more complicated to install than an Isotemp. I'd also rather run hoses through the floor than through the roof. Others have asked their dealers about warranty issues and were told it was no problem. Remember, an Isotemp is no different than adding the PM rear heater option. If you are skittish about messing with the engine, have your dealer do that part.

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
Plus it takes up a lot of roof top real estate. Is it safe to assume there will be a dedicated shower in the van? I guess, considering the fact you have already ordered the Isotemp, the Isotem is the best way to go. Certainly not a big deal to connect it up and it saves the roof for solar power vas solar hot water.

You should come out smelling like a rose;)

·
Registered
808 Posts
I just discovered this product through another member's forum and was interested to know if anyone has installed one. I just ordered an isotemp square water heater a few days ago. I'm wondering if I made a mistake? This seems simpler-to install, maintain and like the fact I won't be messing around with the engine (warranty issues). We will be using our camper mostly for weekend adventures and will not be living out of it or staying in it for long extended times. Any thoughts? Website: http://shop.heliatos.com/Kits-for-RVs-and-Boats_c24.htm
David,

I stumbled across the same company a while back. The Heliatos panel and other solar systems have been discussed on this thread:

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67641&highlight=Solar+water+heater.

I'm still considering doing much the same thing with engine heat as a fallback. I plan to take more extended trips, though, so could have a bit more payoff. To me it's a trade off between roof real-estate v.s. the complexity of plumbing engine coolant.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
It is the same design we use on our home except we have a 4X8’ panel and older products. Ours is heating our hot water as I type and has done so for 15 years. Ours thermo-syphons from the heat exchanger to the water tank so it’s a bit less complex.
Would I do it on a van- No. use the PV and batteries. GaryBIS knows of what he speaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts