Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
I have a 2020 Ram :promaster 2500 159" WB high roof stealth van. We live in Montana and have put the van in storage for a few months. I bought a 13-watt solar trickle charger and mounted in the windshield. The van is facing south so the panel will get lots of sun...
Here's what I bought on Amazon several years back, including some comments from SUNER POWER support and someone on Amazon who replied to my product question:

The charge current is small over the course of a day, so you have no need to worry about the overcharge, it is a trickle charger. If you use it to charge the battery continuously for weeks, we would suggest you go with a charge controller.​
I disagree with the seller. I put this on a new battery and was seeing 15 volts at the battery (with charger connected). This is high. I have one on an older battery and it does not go above 13 volts so is fine. Charge should be 14.1 to 14.7, maintenance should be 13.65. These put out 20+ volts. It depends on the battery and how much sun you get. The best thing is to measure the voltage on the battery and if it is high (over 14 volts) then unplug it for a bit. If it isn't then it should be fine. Some of this depends on what type of battery.​
Confirm whether controller SBC-10A or SPC-10A​
IP65 Waterproof design, compatible with SUNER POWER BC Series solar battery charger including BC-2.4W/BC-6W (the model shown above that I bought)/BC-8W/BC-12W/BC-14W, plug & play.​

It has worked perfectly for me. Buying the controller is key, as that comes with alligator clamps that I attach to the interior battery under the driver's foot panel -- that panel can rest back in place when not driving -- then attach the controller, then attach the solar charging unit, which sits up on the dash.

It is VERY IMPORTANT not to start the engine up with the controller connected to the battery.

· Registered
2014 Silver 136" HT 2500 Gas conversion
68 Posts
[......... see long post for components[

It has worked perfectly for me. Buying the controller is key, as that comes with alligator clamps that I attach to the interior battery under the driver's foot panel -- that panel can rest back in place when not driving -- then attach the controller, then attach the solar charging unit, which sits up on the dash.

It is VERY IMPORTANT not to start the engine up with the controller connected to the battery.
What happens if you forget and start the engine with the controller connected to the battery?

· Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,704 Posts
There's a catch! They only offer certain items, and there are not a lot of usable choices at an affordable number of points. You can get a $20 off coupon, but it's only good if you spend $300 ! I got the 5W trckle charger because I had enough points and it was either that or a Renogy Tote Bag !
Figures. I was hoping for a monitor....
A monitor/display for your charge controller?
the BT-2 bluetooth module is one item they seem to offer but right now it's sold out. According to @proeddie i ned to try on monday.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Figures. I was hoping for a monitor....

the BT-2 bluetooth module is one item they seem to offer but right now it's sold out. According to @proeddie i ned to try on monday.
Here's what I bought on Amazon several years back, including some comments from SUNER POWER support and someone on Amazon who replied to my product question:

The charge current is small over the course of a day, so you have no need to worry about the overcharge, it is a trickle charger. If you use it to charge the battery continuously for weeks, we would suggest you go with a charge controller.​
I disagree with the seller. I put this on a new battery and was seeing 15 volts at the battery (with charger connected). This is high. I have one on an older battery and it does not go above 13 volts so is fine. Charge should be 14.1 to 14.7, maintenance should be 13.65. These put out 20+ volts. It depends on the battery and how much sun you get. The best thing is to measure the voltage on the battery and if it is high (over 14 volts) then unplug it for a bit. If it isn't then it should be fine. Some of this depends on what type of battery.​
Confirm whether controller SBC-10A or SPC-10A​
IP65 Waterproof design, compatible with SUNER POWER BC Series solar battery charger including BC-2.4W/BC-6W (the model shown above that I bought)/BC-8W/BC-12W/BC-14W, plug & play.​

Thanks. I think I have the identical charger purchased from Amazon. Appears to be working fine now that I have it connected to the charging points under the hood. The light is flashing red, which I assume means that it's charging the battery. After a few weeks, I'll check the battery's charge with a multimeter to see whether the trickle charger's controller is keeping the battery at a proper level or overcharging....

· Registered
116 Posts
What happens if you forget and start the engine with the controller connected to the battery?
elkwoman, so sorry for the delay in responding to your question. But with the holiday craziness ... and with my not being entirely sure how to answer your question ... I've taken some time to reply.

Mostly the warning comes from review information and seller replies on the Amazon purchase site. So I've been careful to follow the warnings. I have to assume that the controller of a low wattage input device can't handle the situation where the battery is no longer sitting idle but instead is being powered by the alternator when driving. I have to believe that something in the solar panel and/or the controller wiring could melt down while the engine is on.

But perhaps someone else perusing this discussion who is more electronically savvy than I am could answer your question in more detail. :)

· Registered
2014 Silver 136" HT 2500 Gas conversion
68 Posts
elkwoman, so sorry for the delay in responding to your question. But with the holiday craziness ... and with my not being entirely sure how to answer your question ... I've taken some time to reply.

Mostly the warning comes from review information and seller replies on the Amazon purchase site. So I've been careful to follow the warnings. I have to assume that the controller of a low wattage input device can't handle the situation where the battery is no longer sitting idle but instead is being powered by the alternator when driving. I have to believe that something in the solar panel and/or the controller wiring could melt down while the engine is on.

But perhaps someone else perusing this discussion who is more electronically savvy than I am could answer your question in more detail. :)
I am just so forgetful about things! I do wish they would give reasons for warning type instructions.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts